1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SMC Challenge 2018 Class 19

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by al51williams, Oct 23, 2018.

1. al51williams Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Just returned home from SMC Challenge, another great show although the entry numbers seemed a bit down on last year.
    I'm interested in Class 19 for unpainted sculpted figures. I first started sculpting scratchbuilt figures some 32 years ago, guided by my good friend Sid Horton. Life got in the way for the past 20 years but I have now returned to the hobby since I retired. I entered 2 British WW1 figures in this class and they did not receive any recognition, so I wondered what I am doing wrong having been out of touch for so long. Both figures are done to a fairly tight brief as I am working on a joint project with a colleague, and would add that the RND figure is lighting a pipe not praying like the other figure.
    Of the images I have attached I believe they all received medals with the exception of the WW1 figures and the striking Vietnam figure which received a highly commended. The grenade throwing figure acknowledges the use of a number of kit parts. I have not included pictures of 2 other outstanding displays that I assume got Gold, however these were all largely busts or just heads.
    Appreciate any constructive comments good or bad. 1 guitar.jpg 2 chasseur.jpg 3 vietnam.jpg 4 ballerina.jpg 5 cav.jpg 6 german.jpg 7 praying.jpg 8 rnd.jpg
  2. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Don't beat yourself up about this, judging is an imprecise science full of Bias, personal preferences, painting trends, subject matter, I could go on:rolleyes:. The last time I entered a competition I was awarded while a painter 10 times my superior got nothing for a spectacular display. I have never exhibited in competition since.

I'm not knocking the hobby or those who enter and enjoy the competitive side of the hobby, the same applies in any area of judging with no set parameters, be it, model shows, railway shows, art shows, horticultural or even dog shows, the list is endless.

I always feel sorry for the judges who have a thankless task, especially as standards are now so high, at Euro this year there were several nominations and two best of shows awarded. When you have two of the most prominent modellers in the hobby entering figures miles apart in subject and concept how can you possibly split them?

It is all pretty meaningless unless you are a professional or semi professional who needs awards to command a price for his piece of work, at that level it all gets a bit fraught.

Just keep doing what you are doing you'll win some lose some!

Keith
  3. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    I agree with Keith, judging is a very difficult business and you shouldn't get too down with results. I do think that SMC should be commended for including two sculpting classes where sculptors can show their skills without paint adornments.

The standard in both classes was very high. I was awarded a bronze in this class with my 1/32 Italian pilot. I looked at your entries and especially liked the Naval figure. I don't think you did yourself any favours with the white primer you used, which washed out the detail and is a bit thick in places obscuring some of the work you have done and making the surface look rather rough in places.

I hope this helps. I am really glad you entered because it supports the organiser's faith in putting on the class.
    MENTAL DENTAL, blaster, Nap and 3 others like this.
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Glad you commented on the primer Rob, I didn't like to mention it as I am not a sculptor and didn't feel qualified to comment but it did obscure the detail and gave the figure a rather clunky look.

Congratulations on the award by the way!(y)

Keith
    gforceman and elanlane13 like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

I will never have any talent to sculpt like these but if I might comment I think the webbing needs reworking , particularly the smaller pouches .....just an observation

I like the concept of the soldíer kissing a rosary cross ....as a bust it would work well ...pariculatly with a head option

All credit to you

Nap
  6. al51williams Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for the encouraging remarks. I would agree with the comments on the primer. Towards the end of a figure I apply a thin coat of acrylic white as it can throw up blemishes you have not seen before. However, I think I was in a rush and it is way too thick and also seems to have picked up all the crud on my workbench.

As an ex A Level Product Design teacher it is possible to rigidly apply judging criteria or a marking scheme as we used to call it. This can avoid the risk of personal prejudices. I would add that in the past 2 years of this class the bust or even heads seem to be favoured over anything with limbs. As I mentioned above boots, legs, arms, weapons and particularly hands are difficult.

Thanks again for the positive comments.

Alex