1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP small wood SBS

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ron Tamburrini, Nov 30, 2014.

1. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Sun is out in Glasgow today , A bloody miracle for this time of Year .

Just a little SBS on some wood and how to get a finish

First wood is Panga -Panga : rough cut " off saw " Ie bark cut off and rough sawn, squared Quarter sawn IMG_0572.JPG IMG_0575.JPG sanded to 600 grit starting with 80G ,and working up the scale .

Second wood is a rather nice bit of Scottish rippled oak .again worked thru the Grits with first coat of oil
    IMG_0577.JPG sanded IMG_0581.JPG oiled
    Next is Rippled Ash , this can be a bit bland on some sides so it is stained to a Jacobean Oak colour to bring enhance the grain .
    IMG_0583.JPG IMG_0587.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG IMG_0592.JPG

Purple Heart , sanded then oiled IMG_0594.JPG

Some shots of the workshop and what you need IE Chop saw, Belt sander ,Pillar drill and all sorts of hand tools , there is also a Table saw out of site at the moment .
    As you can see this is as chaotic as my modelling bench :D
    IMG_0557.JPG IMG_0558.JPG IMG_0559.JPG IMG_0566.JPG
    Sandpapers : 80 Grit 120: 160: 220: 400: 600 and 800 .
    Danish oil .

Ron Feked up somewhere along the line here with the pictures , Must have got sunstroke :rolleyes:

Attached Files:

2. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Thanks for sharing Ron.:cool:
  3. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Thanks Ron. You use the same oil as I , so I can´t be wrong using this :notworthy:. I think if I show here the photos from my "room" :depressed::facepalm::X3: It is in an very old cowshed and in the summer I have always some swallows in there
  4. BarrieHynd Well-Known Member

Scotland
    Thanks for this Ron, good of you to share mate(y)
    Barrie
  5. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Very interesting process on the wood Ron.
    Thanks for sharing and enjoy that sunny day.
    Regards
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nicely done Ron. Thanks for sharing it my friend. I would like to ask you something. In order to sand the bases you use the belt sander? Isn't this a bit dangerous? I mean you may sand a side more or press more than it's needed, so you ruin the base.
    I'm looking for a sufficient way to sand the bases so I have all the sides the same and straight.

I'm currently working with a palm sander. After many bases, I can handle it pretty good, but still looking for something better...and maybe faster.

Xenofon
  7. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Nice to see, and no fingers in the sawdust.

Thinking about it, and relating to your other thread, you might have supplied your, SWMBO with all the tools needed for the disposal of your body?

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
    ChaosCossack likes this.
  9. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Kisifer: I use this

quantum_ts305.jpg
    Kisifer likes this.
  10. ATTİLA the HUN Well-Known Member

Turkey
    Ron, I have question for you. What is this woods name???
    I attach below.
    Please send info.

Attached Files: