1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Slings

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Jim Patrick, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    This is more pointed toward Napoleonic figures. What do the rest of you use for slings and such? Mainly I'm working on 54mm figures. I have tried sheet metal, photoetch, lead foil, tape (masking and electrical) but have not tried putty or typing paper. Has anyone ever tried this? If so, what brand and quality? I was reading through Bill Ottinger's book and he mentions this. Just interested as I haven't gotten the results I'm looking for yet.
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hello Jim and welcome to the planet

I have used the foil wrapping that goes around a chocolate candy kiss (good reason to buy some...huh) and it has workrd out fine. It will flatten out pretty smooth and paint up too. I have also used foil from cigerette pack wrappers as well as index card stock. (now that I think of it....I've used alot of different things). Red Lancers used to sell sheet lead in various thicknesses and that may work as well.

Guy (y)
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Hi Jim, Welcome to the planet. I prefer using foil most of the time. I have used typing paper hardened with CA, and the others you mention. As far as using the puttys, I have made straps using Duro. You can make straps with Duro either dry, or wet. Duro is nice for straps that need some texture, (like a web belt) because you can texture it while it's flat and it will flex into position after it's set.
  4. mikec55 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    How about tinsel? There seems to be a lot of that laying around this time of year. I usd it one time a while back for a sling for a bullet pouch & it worked alright. It painted up pretty easily although it flopped around a bit til I got it glued in place.

Mike
  5. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Guy and John, do you use lead foil for slings in 54mm (or 1/35th)? Or do you think it's a bit over scale (too thick) for this small scale? Thank you for the welcome and there do seem to be a lot of "sling" material around (read:Christmas stuff). Kinda funny how a modelers mind works. What about wrapping paper? Anyone tried this or do you think it would work ? Or possibly too thin? anyone else have any ideas?
  6. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    For 54mm slings I use the package of my Swann & Morton blades. Haven't found any better yet.

Hope this helps,

Gino
  7. poetwarrior Member

Hi Jim!

I've used sheet lead to simulate leather M-1 slings in 120mm and made a special tool to replicate the adjustment holes in the sling to ensure proper spacing. I've used it for 54mm sword hangers too. The sheet lead comes in various thicknesses, but if it is too thick you can hammer it out on a smooth hard surface with a flatt hammer. The draw back of using lead is it's toxicity. Make sure you wash your hands thoroughly after use. If you can find discarded tubes of glue or other substances that are contained in thin metal tubes and are crimped at one end, they work great also and may be safer to use.

Good luck!

Dave
  8. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I don't worry too much about scale thickness in 54mm when using lead foil, although I do use the thinnest I can find. Lately, I've been using electrical tape with the adhesive removed. The main advantage of foil, is it's ability to be "posed" to imlpy movement. I have found lead foil to look too thin in larger scales. Another trick for slings etc. is rolling a length of lead wire or solder flat. This is especially effective for larger scale items.
  9. bobparker Member

England
    Hi Jim I also use lead wire bought from the fishing tackle shop used for flytying, comes in different weights/thicknesses= rolls out to different widths.
    I also buy mixed tiny lead shot from the same shop for eyes when sculpting figures.
    Bob