1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sketching values and playing with colors

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Lucas Ferron, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Lucas Ferron Active Member

Brazil
    orccomparison.jpg
    I wouldn't call it a 'technique' per se, but I've made this exercise twice and is so much fun...

I sketched all values with semi-random colors. The idea behind it is to practice value sketching regardless of chroma/hue.
    I tried keeping to something close to a logic - the face temperature zones were somewhat respected - but I was mostly trying to make sure the shapes were easily recognizable and somewhat being affected by a single light source.

The first time I tried this approach was right after getting my first airbrush, a few months ago. I started from a botched attempt at a zenithal highlight, with paint streaks and spiderwebbing:

Orc01.jpg

From there I started sketching lights on the face:

Orc02.jpg Orc03.jpg

I moved to the rest of the body and the end result was this:
    Orc04.jpg

I tried using glazes with the airbrush and mimic Trent Denison's 'sketch and refine' approach, but i chose a wrong color (too light, too much white in it, therefore too opaque), i was still struggling with distance/paint dilution and pressure and my trigger control was terrible, so I just covered everything:
    Orc05.jpg

Well, to simple green and let's try again!
    some week later I stripped the paint and re-primed, this time doing the zenithal well enough:
    Orc06.jpg

Again I started from the face and moved on to the other areas, but this time I wanted to go for a warm scheme, in contrast to the cooler one I had tried before:
    Orc07.jpg Orc08.jpg
    Orc09.jpg Orc10.jpg
    Orc11.jpg Orc12.jpg

I think the end result was better, the volumes are better represented and the scheme seems more cohesive.
    I, of course, tried doing the same thing with the airbrush, now a bit more knowledgeable with the tool. The end result was subpar, but still better than last time:
    Orc13.jpg Orc14.jpg

The high value areas are nice enough, but i'm still missing some midtones. Well, next time it'll be slightly better!
    gazer, oldtrousers, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  2. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    this is really interesting, i think that i will try myself at this exercise as soon as i will have received an anatomical bust i ordered some days ago :)
    Lucas Ferron likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Lucas

Always good to see techniques like this and well photographed as well

Cheers

Nap