1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

SkekOk - The Scroll Keeper

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Sven, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Sven Well-Known Member

Dear Planeteers,
    I am not the biggest fantasy fan around, but I always loved the movie The Dark Crystal. I was a teenager when the movie came out back in 1982. For those who are not familiar with the movie (or just simply forgot everything about it), the Dark Crystal is a dark fantasy film directed by Jim Henson (Muppet Show) and Frank Oz. The animatronics used in the film were considered groundbreaking for its time, with most creatures requiring around four puppeteers to achieve full manipulation.
    Hence, when I heard that BROKENTOAD Miniatures started a Kickstarter project to produce busts and figures of the Dark Crystall universe, I supported it. According to their website, the figures and busts should be available in Dezember for the public. I got my copies a few weeks ago. Go and check their website, if you are interested.
    I have another ‘Skek’ in my stash: SkekSil, the Chamberlain. Both are 1/10 scale (87mm).
    The quality of the cast is great. This particular bust comes with some very tiny pieces, e.g. his glasses. But painting the Scroll Keeper was pure fun, allowing your fantasy to go overboard. I hope you like my version.
    Keep on painting!
    Sven
    IMG_E3233.JPG IMG_E3234.JPG IMG_E3236.JPG IMG_E3235.JPG IMG_E3229.JPG
    gazer, Billy Dickinson, Nap and 8 others like this.
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I remember the film well. The characters were quite something.
    Your rendition of the Scroll Keeper is excellent.
    I look forward to what you achieve with the Chamberlain.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  3. Scott Sheltz Active Member

United-States
    Great paint work! Colors look great
  4. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Wow , wonderful paintwork

Mobo
  5. China Dave Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Lovely, I'm a fan of the movie myself and your depiction is just great, the modelling looks very nice, I'm sure that it was fun to paint.
    I like the size too, something to really get your teeth into.

I was very lucky to work for Jim Henson for a while when I left art school, the creature shop in those days was opposite his house in Hampstead he would pop in sometimes just to see what was going on.
    It was crammed with stuff from the Labyrinth and Dark Crystal, as well as the amazing new stuff being made at the time.
  6. Henk Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Wow, great work. Very good blending.
  7. Steve Brodie PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    WOW thats superb, I have been keeping an eye on these online.
  8. Nap A Fixture

England
    Hi Sven

Good to see something different and for the explanation about the subject , really like the skilled painting all over but particularly the clever colours on the he'd

Why not enter a piece into the class of your choice in our SEPTEMBER's FOTM comp and also vote in AUGUSTS classes as well

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...anced-class-ends-midnight-bst-30-9-21.359333/

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ate-class-closes-midnight-bst-30-9-21.359334/

https://www.planetfigure.com/thread...ard-class-closes-midnight-bst-30-9-21.359338/

....And enter in Vignettes & Diorama #3 running till 31/01/22

......https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/enter-in-vignette-diorama-3-here-ends-31-01-220.312212/

....msg me if needed

Always good to see the artwork

Thanks for sharing

Look forward to the next

Happy benchtime

Nap