1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP SK Miniatures Von Mackensen Bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by roadking, Oct 24, 2011.

1. roadking Active Member

United-States
    [IMG]

This is an in progress shot of the SK Miniatures bust representing General Von Mackensen. I paint exclusively in oils. The hat is in it's early stages and the face is about 95% or more complete.

Jim Johnston
  2. redhorse Active Member

United-States
    I like him, it's a cool looking bust and you've done a great job on the face.
  3. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Fantastic job Jim. I don't know how I missed this release as Von Mackensen is one of my fave WWI personalities. I will certainly be following this one.
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    great start on this awesome bust.
    So far I like what you have done with it.
    Looking forward to the next photoshoot.:)

marc
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Good likeness and well painted!

Cheers
  6. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Nice start Jim, looking forward to the progress(y)
  7. Figurenfreund66 Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Jim

well that's just my period.
    The face is perfect and the fantastic coat.

Hendryk
  8. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Impressive start.
    Carl.
  9. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Nice face and colpack looks like real fur. Cool.

Colin
  10. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim,
    nice to see this post from you,not your normal subject...like his face,looks soft elderly that fits,nice work matey.
    Hope your well,and life treats you well,I'll keep an eye as love the subject,take care,
    Best Regards
    Paul
    www.paulblaber1.moonfruit.com
  11. roadking Active Member

United-States
    Thank you everyone. I will post updated shots as I progress. Fun bust to paint, and yes Paul, something a bit different from my usual subjects of interest.

Jim
  12. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Souperb face ! - I also wasn't aware of their von Mackensen bust will await to see your results.:)
  13. Kirtles Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
  14. roadking Active Member

United-States
    What you see here is my initial mid-tone highlighted and shadowed tones on the tunic. Photos of actual coats show a variety of grayish green tones. To get the initial colors I used Rembrandt Greenish Umber, W&N Titanium White and a bit of W&N Mars Black to grey out the greenish tones a tad. Once applied I went in and roughly outlined details and filled in shadows with more Mars Black. This sketchy mix was then stippled with a soft round brush to blend the colors slightly. This gives me subtle mid to mid-shadow tones. Again this technique was used for the mid-highlights by applying patches of Titanium White and again stippling the colors to roughly blend. This will be allowed to dry and I will begin to work on final highlights and shadows before starting on details such as medals, shoulder boards and lacing, cording.

An additional wash of Mars Black was applied to the colpack as well. I will now start building highlight tones there as well, also paint the red bag.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    offo likes this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This thread is almost three years old I know BUT ...... Did this ever get finished? If so I would love to see the end result because this bust is winking at me from the stash.

- Steve
  16. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Steve the bust is done. Please see the final result in Jim Jonhston's blog: Figure it out blogspot.com
    Cheers,
    Pedro.
  17. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Pedro. Rather than "sign up" to that though, I googled it instead and I just found it on puttyandpaint. It looks fantastic!

- Steve
  18. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim Looking good my friend nice skin tones keep it up

Cheers

ian
  19. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Very nice work Jim,great flesh painting,look forward to seeing it in its next stage :)