1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Open Book SK Miniatures Oriental Pirate Bust

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Tommi, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oriental Pirate Bust

piratemain1.jpg

piratemain2.jpg piratemain3.jpg

This on one of the latest releases sent to me by Steve Kirtley of S.K.Miniatures. Sculpted by the very talented hand of Greeny it represents a 1/9th scale oriental Pirate bust., box example and painting guide by Sang-Eon Lee.

pirate3.jpg pirate4.jpg

All parts are supplied and protected in foam layers in a sturdy box with the parts in a poly zip lock bag. The Bust consists of three resin parts, a resin pedestal base and two white metal pistols.

A close inspection of the resin parts show exception casting and a very high level of detail in the sculpting process. The sample I have has no seam lines to be removed; the kit was picked at random by me from a box of many so it is not handpicked or a known first casting.

The head has a very small area at the base of the neck to lightly sand down where the mould plug has been removed. It still fits into the neck socket of the bust torso as it is. The main body of the bust is very clean and I could not find any cleaning up of the part on the casting that I have apart from the removal of the mould plug on the left hand underside.

The part that is the draping part of the waist sash needs to have a small mould plug removed, there are no additional seam lines. The two with metal pistols have the usual hairline seam lines to file down.

pirate5.jpg

pirate6.jpg

A close inspection of the head shows it from three angles; we can see the quality of workmanship both in the sculpting of the face, head gear and the casting process.

The main body of the bust for close inspection of detail of the clothing drapery and fur.

pirate7.jpg pirate8.jpg

The two white metal pistols locate in the two recesses at the waist of the bust, they are helped to stay in place one the addition draping part of the waist sash has been attached.

The supplied resin pedestal base will need to have a small mould plug removed befor fitting.

Conclusion:
    Another quality release from S.K.Miniatures with a nice and different choice of subject. Detail of the face is exceptional and will be a painters paradise. There is very minimal cleanup of all parts and test fitting was exact. Highly Recommended.

Availability:
    The bust is available now to order through Steve’s web site and there will be a supply of theses at Euro Militare 17th and 18th of this month.

http://www.skminiatures.co.uk/

Cheers
    Tommi

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That looks like a great bust. Crispy casting and sculpting.
    Sang-Eong-Lee brought live in this.
    Something to look at next week.

marc
  3. Dennis Active Member

England
    Thanks for the review Tommi, it looks like Steve has another winner on his hands and I bet he sells a shipload at Euro.
    Dennis
  4. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    what a great face.
  5. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Wow ! - what can I say, very nice indeed. Thanks for posting.(y)
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

Thanks for this Tommi, great to see more images of this amazing sculpt. The casting looks to be as good as it gets.

Einion
  7. pipetrepid Active Member

United-States
    really well done! great character.
  8. mil-mart A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Tommi a great review (y) Superb sculpting and painting and looking forward to taking a peek at Euro.

Cheers Ken
  9. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Available this coming weekend at Euro Militaire

Tommi