1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Size/scale question (?)

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by alexndefo, Mar 18, 2021.

1. alexndefo New Member

Czech-Republic
    Hello,

I have a question about the size/scale of creatures. I made several 3D models according to the Guild Wars 2 [online game], just because I like it. Several as a commission, but I did not unify the size in any way. Everyone wanted a model in different size.

Now I would like to turn these models into something like a "game set" for my kids. I studied something about the size of the figures, I chose a basic height 40 mm so the "male figure" fits on a field 50 x 50 mm. I adapted the other models to this base according to how big are in the game.

You can see my problem in the picture. Some are smaller, it probably won't be such a problem, but dragons and birds are too big. I thought that the movement of the player is important, they must have the appropriate size. But for a monster, it doesn't matter, maybe... Does it matter?

I've never played such a game, I don't know the rules or necessarily things, I suppose we'll just come up with something, or the kids will come up with it themselves, that'll be best :)

I will be happy for any information.
    https://a86.cz/compare.jpg A86.cz-size-compare.jpg
  2. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    This perhaps isn’t the best place to ask- better look for a gaming forum...and those designing gaming subjects. The traditional size measurement has been ground to eyes, but that’s hardly universal
  3. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Alex, I think what you might want to do is to establish some guidelines for different categories of figures.

Make your basic figure 40mm, for example, and say it's a human, or comparable being, of 6' in height, or 2m if it's more practical. Then for creatures that are larger, say, trolls, large mechs, etc maybe choose a different standard so they fit on the game board, but still indicate large size. Make them 60, 65mm. And for even larger creatures, or machines, like dragons, flying machines, maybe make those a little bigger still.

That will convey the concept of different sizes, but make putting figures together in sets more practical.

Hope that helps, prosit!
    Brad
    Mirofsoft likes this.
  4. grasshopper A Fixture

Canada
    And bear in mind the sheer volume of resin entailed in various sizes. I know Scientific models held back doing a 75mm scale rhino for that reason and only did 54...their site might help with ideas.as well the gaming world seems active on twitch tv where you can sign up and join live videos
  5. alexndefo New Member

Czech-Republic
    Thank you, this point of view helped me ;-)