1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sir John Of Eltham 54 Mm [completed]

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Alex, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Here is my version of Sir John of Eltham in 54 mm
    The figure is pretty much the stock figure.
    I have however removed the original sword blade, then carefully drilled the hilt of the sword and then inserted a new stainless steel blade (made in Russia).
    This figure is my first one painted with acrylics. Inks & some oils were used for the metallic parts.
    The sculpture on this figure is amazing for a 54 mm figure and I'm very proud of the result
    Base is raw wenge wood
    Please don't hesitate to comment, including positive and negative remarks.
    I have also upgraded my camera and shots were taken with an Olympus OM-D EM5 camera.
    Last picture is of the box art.

Cheers

Alex

Attached Files:

mark761214, NickM, Mike S. and 4 others like this.
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    This is great mate an excellent paint job on such a small figure, a minor detail/choice is I'd have maybe expanded the base/groundwork a little it looks kinda "perched" on the wooden part other than that it's top notch stuff Alex, could you go into more detail re the sword blade that sounds an interesting bit of work is there a website or supplier ?

Steve
  3. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Yes I see what you mean for the base. At first I was actually not going to even add a wood base since I'm also a 'heavy' collector of 54 mm miniatures and most of them have no wood bases. Next time, I will however extend the groundwork to the limits of the wood part.
    The blade is made by a metalsmith in St Petersburg, Russia and I have bought it from Kolobob on eBay. It's not cheap but all my russian miniatures have stainless steel blades. They are sharp, can't bend and really look like the real thing.
  4. Helm A Fixture

England
    Cheers Alex they do look good for sure, as I said it was only an IMO on the base but I think it will look better. Look forward to your next work

Steve
  5. tiberius57 A Fixture

Canada
    Very nice work, indeed! (y)
    Cheers,
    Zeno
  6. taffjones Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I really like it bud, they colours make the mini just stand out.
  7. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Excellent piece.
    Carl.(y)
  8. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Alex,
    Very well done and very nice colours. Do you have a web link for the sword blades?
    Cheers
    John
  9. robbyk9 Active Member

Hey Alex

This is realy a good paintjob and that for your first attempt with acrylics. wish I was that good at my beginning.
    They figure stand out with your outstanding highlights and schadows en detail work.
    compliments for you and your little buddy.
    Greetings Dick
  10. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    steve, zeno, taffjones, carl, john & dick, thank you for the warm comments !
    John, i don't think that this metalsmith has a website. moreover, you can't use paypal or a credit card when
    buying stuff in Russia.
    the only guy i know who has some of these blades is kolobob on ebay.
    however, all russian manufacturers of high end figurines like russian vityaz and sineus studio use the same kind of blades.
    maybe one of our fellow russian modeler might know more ?

i am now starting a 90 mm samurai from Pegaso... can't wait to paint him !

alex
  11. HIKARU_REMOVED Guest

Japan
    Excellent!:woot:
    It is a beautiful work.
    I congratulate completion.;)

Mitsutaka:)
  12. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    This is 54mm........, very good paint job