Sir Isaac Brock sculpting WIP part deux

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wendy, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Here's an update on Brock. I'm not happy with the collar and the hands, he doesn't have all his buttons yet, something isn't right about his arms and I'm not sure exactly what, and the boots need work. Any comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Cheers,
    Wendy

Attached Files:

2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    One thing abut the pose, his left foot should be under the centerline of his body in order to make the pose work. I think the boots would be okay of you thinned them a bit at the ankle and defined the toe a little better. I bet if you defined the elbow a bit more and added some mass to the hands you'd be where you want to be. Some easy fixes really, and you'll have a very nice sculpture.
  3. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    only advise I can give is to look closely when you imitating the pose in front of a miror. Or take pictures perhaps. It's all in little details.
  4. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    looks like a nice sculpt. what material is he and what size Wendy? as for corrections, apart from going from half pose to drunken stance if you want to, maybe just define some heavier wrinkling about the sleeves? might just be the photo though.
    designers are never truly happy with their work even if its good, see first sentence! ;-))

regards--- tim.
  5. Knill22 Member

United-States
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Cool idea for a figure and a good beginning, Wendy! I'd say John's suggestions are spot on! Could we also see a side view to look at the torso? I'd like to see depth and breadth of the chest and some of the shoulder aspect as compared to a portrait or whatever of the man.

All the best,
    Dan
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Wendy, I'm Coming in on this late. John's comments are spot on. The hands look a bit tiny and a few folds on the sleeves would be a plus. All the elements making up the figure look good, it's getting them to work together that can take time. Keep it up. ~Gary
  8. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the comments, guys. They are greatly appreciated. I'll get to work on tweaking the things mentioned. His hands are tiny. I think I'll try making him hold something behind his back - a rolled up piece of paper or something just to take up a little more space and I think it would be easier to sculpt hands that are holding something (at least for my first try :) ). I had thought about a quirt, but I don't know if he used one. I'm not too good at making wrinkles, so I'm kind of working on getting them marked in, then work from there. There's also a ton of smoothing to do on him.

I had some thoughts of trying to finish him for the Chicago show, but I think I'll take a little more time on him. I'll bring him to Chicago in his unfinished state anyway so I can get some in person critique on him.

Tim, he is made of magic sculp, except for the Hornet head and he is 1/32, but he's just under 60mm tall (since he was a tall guy). You're right about the wrinkles.

I'll try and get a pic of the side view and post it sometime today Dan. :)

Thanks again for the comments. :) They are very helpful.
    Wendy
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Wendy,
    It loooks good so far.
    Cheers
    John
  10. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Hi John. Thanks. :)

Here's a side pic, Dan. I don't know why, but nine out of ten pics I take are fuzzy, so one good pic and the rest of the other side were fuzzy. Sometimes I swear my camera has moods, but the error probably lies with the user. :D

Hehe...looking at the picture, it make his butt look big. :D

Attached Files:

11. darkeye Member

United-Kingdom
    looks fine from the side to me, chest depth looks good so i would stick there and grind the boot tops a little to make them thinner may-be.
    good thing is that you've left plenty of volume in the piece to play with which is something i do too.
    keep going Wendy, looks great!

all the best ---- tim.
  12. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wendy,

Here's a couple pic's showing the "centerline" of the body. Notice how the leg supporting the body weight is positioned.

A convincing relaxed pose is tough to pull off... Much tougher than an action pose IMO.

Looking forward to seeing him in the flesh.

Jason

Attached Files: