1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Silver-Grey Milliput - any tips?

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by simon1969, Oct 30, 2003.

1. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Anyone got any tips for stopping this stuff sticking to your fingers? :(
    I usually use the standard yellow-grey stuff but the jailer - sorry the wife says I don't need any more of that while I've got nearly a whole pack of the silver-grey! (telling her that the reason I've got a whole pack of the stuff is because I hate using it will only lead to - "well why did you buy it in the first place....?" - best avoided!)
    So, any suggestions?
    I've tried keeping my fingers wet - just get covered in wet putty instead! and I've tried covering my hands/fingers in the powdered chalk I use when rolling milliput (the chalk you get in bicycle repair kits - probably French chalk but don't quote me on that!) but doesn't seem to make any difference!
    HELP!!!

Simon
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Vaseline (petroleum jelly) will help.
  3. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thank You!!
    Concise & to-the-point!

Cheers
    Simon
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Simon, Bob is right. I even mix a little in with my putty and it solves the "sticky fingers syndrome".~Gary
  5. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Guys
    I shall try this tonight and let you know tomorrow how I get on!
    (You never know, I might even get those eyes done!!)

Cheers
    Simon
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    mostly i bear with it... i've been using Apoxie lately and it's way softer than Milliput almost like chewed bubble gum, and quite sticky.. i've tried the vaseline before but the adhesion was a bit iffy.. perhaps i used too much... another thing to consider is the temperature as well*... i've had good luck with a glass of ice water on the bench to dip my finger in before mixing and dabbing them dry (wiping will warm them up again) and it helps keep the sticky down, same goes for tools... also one component is more "clay-like" and less stiky.. i'll wrap the "clay" like part arounf the the sticky component and then commence to mixin'.. that helps too :)

*the warmer the more the putty likes to stick
    blaster likes this.
  7. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Some excellent tips there Gordy! (y)
    You see, you won't get stuff like that anywhere else (that I know of at least!)

Cheers
    Simon
  8. Hot_spur Member

United-States
    I used to use A+B Epoxy Putty sold in most hardware stores in the plumbing section. That stuff was a joy to work with - not very sticky, and really easy to mold into clothing, fine details, etc.

I recently got back into the hobby and the A+B stuff is no longer available. Tried another hardware store brand and it is pretty useless - very sticky and not good for fine detail.

I thought I'd try Milliput, but this thread gives me pause. Any other suggestions?
  9. MattMcK. PlanetFigure Supporter

Apoxie is my current go-to, but Magic Sculpt is also very food. Less stiff than Milliput in my experience.
    blaster likes this.