1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Sicilian Hoplite

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bailey, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I've been keeping busy. Today's project was to work on some accessories for the base. I'm picturing this guy in an ancient city his army just sacked, maybe looking for loot. I had a few vases my dad picked up at a toy soldier show and I thought they would work well for what I wanted. They originally had this awful textured paint on them so that had to go. Plenty of sanding later and I was back to the bare metal ready to start again. I snapped a few photos of actual vases from a museum so the two smaller ones are based on real vases. The figure is there to give you a sense of scale.

[IMG] [IMG]
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]
    Ferris, Eludia, Borek and 2 others like this.
  2. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Working on the base. For the city scene I created a portion of a building and a stone texture for the ground. Did some weathering and then added the vases.
    [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

I still need to finish up the figure, but I placed him temporarily on the base to see how everything looked together.
    [IMG]
  3. Krest063 Active Member

Russian-Federation
    Wonderful idea ! And a great realization !
    Andrey
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Wonderful metallics and a great contrast between these and the clothing .

Lovely scene as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  5. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Really impressive, I like it a lot.
    Just a vague idea that are too many elements in a small space. And maybe some desorder, the high vase a little more oblique, I don't know.
    The right leg is too close of one of vase, even that i understand and you emphasize the defensive position of hoplite.
    Maybe some more photos will be nice.
    A smal question: did you paint the small motifs on the vases? Look amazing at this scale.
    Otherwise, warm congratulations!
  6. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, everyone. Nicolaos, I agree, he's a little too close to the vases. He's not glued down yet, so I'll reposition him. And yes, I painted the designs on the pottery. I used some reference material for ideas, so they're based on real vases but not exact copies. The real Greek vases have a ton of detail on them, too much for me to do at this scale!
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  7. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

Bailey, just some opinions. One of my friends just asked me if your are gonna to make a step by step tutorial.
    Can' wait to see the final result!
    Cheers,
    Nicolae
    Paul Kernan likes this.
  8. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    No problem, its helpful to hear from other artists. Sometimes there are things I don't see until someone else points it out.

And yes, I was planning to write up a step by step for this figure. I'll be sure to post a link here once I finish it.
  9. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great work, I like the metals especially. Cheers Borek
  10. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    I put the finishing touches on the hoplite this weekend. I added a few scratches and dings to his armor and then did a little more weathering with pigments. I also repositioned the figure a bit so he's not quite so close to the wall. Overall I'm very happy with how he turned out. At some point in the next few weeks I'm going to put together a tutorial on this figure. I'll be sure to post a link here once it's done. Thanks for following this project!

[IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG] [IMG]

Here's the figure in the CMON gallery:
    http://www.coolminiornot.com/351030
    Krest063, arxo, Kisifer and 3 others like this.
  11. Nicolaos Well-Known Member

You've done a wonderfull job, Bailey! Thanks a lot for sharing this expericence with us.
    Best regards,
    Nicolae
  12. Bailey A Fixture

United-States
    Ferris likes this.