1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Show that would welcome Dinosaurs?

Discussion in 'Figure Shows, Workshops and Events' started by gorgosaurus, Apr 26, 2012.

1. gorgosaurus Active Member

England
    Wonderfest 2009 in Louisville, Kentucky was a blast for me - the show encompasses a very broad spectrum of modelling themes (there is a Dinosaur category!), I made some good friends and my models were well-liked.
    Now, after a necessary break from modelling the past few years, I´d once again like to take some of my Dinosaurs to shows outside Denmark. Attendance would be depend upon dates not conflicting with some private family restrictions on my free-time.
    All of the shows in Europe that I know of are Military. Would my Dinosaurs be out of place? Or are there any shows that would welcome them? Should I simply ask for a display table? Could I enter a model in a competition (miscellaneous category?)?

Spike.
  2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Id imagine any and all shows would love to have your Dinosaurs on display. I know we'd love to have you at the Lone Star Figure Show!
  3. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    Since Anders piped up, if you are willing to travel to the central US, the Tulsa show welcomes fantasy and sci-fi, so real animals like dinosaurs are welcome too. I agree with his observation that most shows at least here in the US would welcome your work.--
  4. gorgosaurus Active Member

England
    Thanks guys, that´s nice to know.
    Hand-baggage limitations and security checks seriously limit what I can bring over to the USA. I´d love to come over again, but will focus on Europe for now.
    What with so many important dinosaur finds having been made in the USA, there is a cultural interest in them.
    Sadly, I have once or twice encountered some disconcerting incomprehension as to why anyone would want to model Dinosaurs ... :(
    Spike.
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Hi, Spike, you'd be welcome at our show, too, the Miniature Figure Collectors of America (MFCA) Show, held in Valley Forge, PA. There's not a dedicated category just for dinosaurs, but you could display or compete in the existing categories.

Prost!
    Brad
  6. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Not accepting your passion for all things paleontology, is a bit short sighted.:mad:
    Most UK shows have a miscellaneous class, so that's always an option.
    Carl.(y)
  7. gorgosaurus Active Member

England
    Thanks, Brad.
    What about Euromilitaire, Carl? is there much "miscellaneous" there?
    There´s the added attraction of fossils for me on the beach at Folkestone and a great Chinese (if it´s still there) afterwards. ;)
    Spike.
  8. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You should be OK at Euro Spike.
    http://www.euromilitaire.co.uk/editorial/page.asp?p=633
    Class 22 MISCELLANEOUS CIVILIAN for multiple foot or mounted figures displayed as vignettes, dioramas and boxed dioramas on a scenic base, but base size restrictions apply. Credit will be given to scratch built or converted figures included in the work. This Class may include models for which no other non-military Class exists e.g. wildlife, civilian vehicles.‘Girlie’, risqué, horror and military subjects are NOT eligible and will be disqualified if entered.
    Carl.(y)
    gorgosaurus likes this.
  9. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    There are always people who have limited comprehension and find it necessary to voice it to those who do not fit their idea of what is appropriate. Be kind, listen to them, then do what the hell you want to do.
  10. chippy Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    The IPMS at Telford in the UK autum time would be a great place for you as it covers all aspects of modelling , OK it's mostly Tanks and Planes but the figure section is growing year on year and anything modelling is excepted . It might be worth checking out Spike
    chippy
  11. gorgosaurus Active Member

England
    Thanks for the responses, Carl, Steve and Chippy.
    I´m surfing th´internet for show reports and galleries.
    Ofcourse the UK has a special interest for me - especially Folkestone where I can revive the model-making, fossil-hunting and culinary experiences of my younger days.
    Spike.