1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Should I varnish or not?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Muttley762, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Muttley762 New Member

Hi everyone, new poster here. I'm currently getting back into modelling after about 16 years. I'm coming to the end of painting my first figure, a 54 mm white metal Roman legionary (Beneito Miniatures). Do you think I should varnish it or not? I never used to varnish my figures when I did models before, but perhaps I should with this one.

I've painted it with acrylics.

Thanks for your help!
  2. DaddyO A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Muttley
    Unless you plan on handling it a lot or it's very glossy then the short answer is no it's not needed (y) That said I sometimes use an artists acrylic varnish for particular effects such as adding a slight sheen to a horse's coat (acrylics dry very matt usually) or if you overwork the paint it will sometimes have too much of a gloss (Prussian blue and some reds tend to) in which case I'll give those areas a coat of matt.

I hear of lots of issues with modellers who do varnish their models (although usually these are aircraft and tanks) that I would avoid it unless absolutely necessary
    Cheers
    Paul
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Muttley

BIG WELCOME to PF and back to the hobby

Good to have you with us ...Introduce yourself in the Welcome aboard part as well

As for varnish ...Paul's words are wise indeed

Sometimes I use satin varnish on leather , a 50/50 satin and gloss on eyes ( I only paint busts )

We have a great part on Painting Techniques as well here hat you might find useful

Hope this helps a little

Happy benchtime

Nap
  4. Muttley762 New Member

Thanks both, I think I'll go no varnish (as you say, I'm not planning on handling it at all).
  5. thanks for asking, I was wondering myself!