1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shoeshine!!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by slaj, Oct 21, 2009.

1. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Here's what I was working on before I left for Chicago.Just added the finishing touches when I got back. A US Marine having a shoeshine ca1861/2. It's in 54mm and it's scratch except for a couple of spares. Hope you like it.

Stephen Mallia

Attached Files:

2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Superb sculpting and painting Stephen. I love it.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    A lovely vignette, great painting & sculpting.
    Carl.
  4. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Beautiful, Stephen !

Hi Stephen :) !
    BEAUTIFUL WORK, my friend; I really like it alot !!!! Cheers !
    Kenneth ;).
  5. Black Army Well-Known Member

Hungary
    Great idea and work!
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Absolutely great artistic work.
    Sculpting and painting are awesome. I was wondering, the man who is cleaning up the shoes in that time...shouldn't that be not a Afro-American...Just wondering.
    Because in those days they did all the dirty work.
    Good work Stephen.

Marc
  7. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Marc, Stephen will surely elaborate more about this as we discussed it sort of before he embarked on this project and we both concluded that if he had to go for "historical accuracy" it would look a bit rascist :eek:

I admit we may both have been a bit over cautious, because now that I'm seeing what a gem he did, and how much better it would have looked with an Afro-American doing the shoe shine (after all it would never have been his intention of being a rascist) but as long as he could get away with this "little historical deliberate mistake" it would be forgiven!!

Steve, a very BIG weldone to you mate........idea, sculpting, painting and IMPROVED PICS :D

Ray ;)
  8. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Steve,

Looks nice and it was greaqt seeing you again. Hey try to take another picture but this time set up your white balance and see what you get.

Joe
  9. Hardy Guest

Steve mate, thats a fantastic piece of work. Hope to see it in Malta next year. Hardy
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    That's really nice (both painting and sculpting) although the hat on the shoe shiner makes him look more like one from the 1900-1920s (or later) instead of the 1860s. A "wheel hat" or slouch type hat would have worked well. A colored shoe shiner would have been interesting, although probably no more or less accurate than a white one. Here's a photograph of a group of boys taken at St. John's church in Richmond, VA circa 1865. They wear an interesting variety of hats, with a fair amount of kepis among them. ~Gary

Attached Files:

11. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Stephen,
    Great sculpting and painting. Fantastic piece. It was great to talk to you in Chicago and thanks for the lecture.
    Cheers
    John
  12. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Guys,thanks for the response. I had fun doing this.

Marc, I steered away from raising any arguments whatsoever,altough a coloured guy might have looked better.But since there's a union soldier I sort of rested a bit more easy that it's acceptable to portray him as it is.

Gary, your input is perfectly correct but I happen to have a pic showing a hat like that so I went for something different.

John, you're welcome and thanks for coming

Stephen
  13. kastigamatt Active Member

Italy
    Great job and great painting too. I love unusual subjets, congratulation.
    Luca
  14. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Luca, thanks a lot

Stephen
  15. Wendy Active Member

United-States
    Lovely work Stephen! The marine's pose is nice and relaxed. :)
  16. btavis Active Member

United-States
  17. blaster A Fixture

United-States
    Dear Stephen,

Very original piece and great presentation.

Rgds Victor
  18. el cid New Member

Canada
    Bravo Steve!
    Hope to see this at MFCA
    It was great rooming with you this year at the Chicago show
    Thanks again for the paint and the tips as always...
    your pal, Steve (el cid)
  19. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Now this is very good, nice original vignette, as usual splendid work from you Stephen, thanks for posting, RobH.:D
  20. Elaphus Active Member

Germany
    Hello Stephen,

wow, fantastic sculpting and painting. A great idea and a wonderful presentation.

Superb

Karsten