1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shkuros Wolves...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    1. Day, January 20, 2020

Today my new figure project starts!

[IMG]

And I want to use this first day blandly to tell you what it is and how it came about:

It all started when I got a photo of a bust of "Young" showing a Prussian hussar from the Seven Years' War - I think she is the best figure he has ever brought to the market, she is incredibly dynamic ...

[IMG]

For me and my collection, this beautiful bust has only one disadvantage: the bust shows no Cossack!

I had the image of this bust in my head for a year and a half until I dared to ask Markus if he could sculpt something like this for me as a Cossack in 1:10.

And he did!

[IMG]

Since there were obviously many figure friends who found this fighting Cossack great, Markus decided to bring it to the market as a bust that could be bought - and at "Scorpio Models", his company, you can still get this beautiful bust there...:

https://www.scorpio-models.com/gx3d/product_info.php?info=p269_cossack-warrior.html
    Of course I painted the bust immediately - here is my version, a fighting Terek Cossack based on this model ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

We already had the boy as the subject of a paintbattle in my German forum two and a half years ago ...:

Version by Markus Eckmann...:

[IMG]

Version by Heinz Frieben (aka "kingbingo")...:

[IMG]

Version by Bernd Ruemmelein...:

[IMG]

Version by Charles Kesselaer...:

[IMG]

Version by Erik Ardenne...:

[IMG]
    Since my original idea was realized with this great bust, I turned to other projects - until ...

... photos of this rider / horse bust in 1:10 from "Bonapartes" fell into my hands ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

**continued next post**
    marco55, Wings5797, Oda and 4 others like this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    These photos never let go of me!

How about equipping Markus' beautiful Cossacks with a horse in a similar way ...?

I then peddled this idea with my friend Heinz Frieben (aka "kingbingo") in Austria - and Heinz agreed.

When the idea had progressed so far, it was necessary to determine WHAT Heinz Cossack should put on the horse.

I chose one of the most famous - and at the same time most notorious! - units that fought in the Russian civil war on the side of the "whites", the so-called "Wolf Division" of General Shkuro...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The unit was known for their clout and breakneck bravery in battle as well as for their cruelty and lack of discipline!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here is their leader, General Andrej Grigorijewitsch Shkuro ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The members of the "Wolfs" division, who saw themselves as elite troops, wore different uniforms, according to their own taste and - as the only Cossack unit during the civil war, papakha hats were not made from the usual lambskin, but from wolf fur ...:

[IMG]

When he was sculpting, I asked Heinz to add a few special details to Markus' original bust, the Wolfskin Papakha, two medals, a pistol in a holster with a safety cord, the sleeve badge of the "Wolves" (see photo General Shkuro above!) and special decorations on the Cherkesska, the uniform skirt.

All details are documented by original templates - there is no other way ...

Here is the result - this bust remains a one-off ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

As a "treat", Heinz modeled the badge of the "Wolves" to decorate the base - based on a photo of the original, which was made of enameled silver ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

For one and a half years I've been looking forward to bathing the boy and his horse in color - and now the time has come ...!

Cheers
    R Dominick, Kevtk135, Oda and 9 others like this.
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    That is gonna be a excellent and unique figure

Marc
    marco55 and Martin Rohmann like this.
  4. ometz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nicely done. I take it you admire Cossacks.
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

I am sat here right on your shoulder looking over ....

Firstly a great idea , secondly THANK YOU for sharing the versions from your German Modellling forum ..be great to see more from the members if they wish ...

Is it possible to name the modellers of the busts please ??

Thirdly .......great additions by Heinz ..like the username king bingo

Looking forward to seeing more from you ....sandwiches and coffee organised ..and a cushion for the seat

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England

That's a understatement , Martins a respected fountain of knowledge on Cossacks and the SBS are packed full of details ...as you can see here !

Pull up a seat and enjoy

Perhaps Martin might treat us all to some pictures of his Cossack collection as well

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda, Martin Rohmann and captnenglish like this.
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I have added the names above.

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England

Thanks Martin .....do like them all but especially the version by Heinz ...and yours if course

As I said nice to see your forums modellers work

Nap
  9. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding and dramatic subject. I look forward to your progress as usual.
    Martin Rohmann and Nap like this.
  10. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    An impressive project Martin. I will be following closely with great interest. I have the cossack bust in my GGA, but I want to do him in black a daunting color for me to paint, but I have been practicing.
    Nap and Martin Rohmann like this.
  11. Henkm Well-Known Member

Will be following with interest.
    Nap and Martin Rohmann like this.
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Marvelous work all!!

All the best,
    Dan
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    2. Day, January 21, 2020

Using Joe Sonja's texture paste and some old hard brushes ...

[IMG]

... I just gave the horse a fur structure - very thin, but thick enough that you can see the fur "line" ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Best piece and best idea Martin! terrific! Would it be possible to see some other examples from the german forum?

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Wondered if the texture paste would be in use !

It's not overdone ...this sort of detail prep you do makes the SBS great

Thanks for update

Happy benchtime

Nap
  16. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Me thinks this is gonna be a good one......the horse already has eyelids.....:)

Wayne
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    3. Day, January 22, 2020

The horse and the base - both form a unit - are washed and degreased today!

Usually I do this in an ultrasonic bath, but the part is too large for it! But soaking in lukewarm water with detergent and working with an old electric toothbrush do the same ...:

[IMG]

Then I primed - this time I opted for a light gray primer ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

OK - ready to paint! Tomorrow...

Cheers
    Kevtk135, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  18. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I'm already hooked on this new series:D!

Joe
    Nap likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

As always great prep work , cleanly primed which brings everything together well , the horse texture works well in particular

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap

Me too Joe
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    3. Day, January 23, 2020

I start painting the horse with its eyes!

The eye of a satisfied and balanced horse has something soothing, I think ...:

[IMG]

However, if the animal gets under stress - fear or anger - the picture changes rapidly!

Just like the ears, the eyes, which the horse's brain can "control" independently of each other, turn to danger - they twist extremely and the expression on the horse's face gets something wild, rushed ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here again up close ...:

[IMG]

Our horse is undoubtedly in a stressful situation, namely in the fray, and his rider is just hacking at an enemy riding next to him with his saber.

That is the expression that our horse should have, must have!

Oh yes, an important detail: Unlike humans, the horse pupil is not round, but oval-elongated ...:

[IMG]

My two horse eyes, with which I just finished, were created with these colors ...

[IMG]

... and now look like this - although of course the reflex points that bring a painted eye to "life" must not be missing ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

What do you mean...?

Cheers
    Kevtk135, Oda, KenBoyle and 2 others like this.