1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shkuros Wolves...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

That Cherkesska looks even better in these pictures so was well worth the time

As for the pistol cord ...plenty of references and a nice result , the silvered sleeve is a good detail

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    47. Day, March 26, 2020

Every day a detail! This is how I "stretch" my painting during the state-prescribed "Corona" house arrest!

Today it is the turn of one shoulder piece of "Petro", the second one is a single part - and can only be assembled and painted when the saber arm is ready.

As far as the shoulder piece is concerned, I now have several color options - only ONE not:

Cossacks always wore SILVER "pogony" (= epaulettes) - only the stars that showed the rank were gold colored!

It is different with the piping:

Many members of the "wolves" simply carried on their old tsarist shoulder boards in the civil war!

So I could either the piping red (= Kuban Cossacks) ...

[IMG]

... or blue (= Terek Cossacks) ...

[IMG]

...paint.

However, many no longer had pogony and had to have new ones made!

Some had to make them "disappear" for good reasons - namely those who made their way across revolutionary boiling Russia to the "white" army, namely!

Because whoever came under control...

[IMG]

... on the trip and carried the rank and rank of the officer's caste that was hated by the people, faced the threat of being shot dead as a counter-revolutionary...

[IMG]

...if he was lucky, or even worse ...:

[IMG]

Others buried their tsarist badges of ritual somewhere like a treasure, as in this picture by Pavel Ryshenko...

[IMG]

... before they went into civil war with new epaulets of the "whites"; this captain has already set up his new Kornilow regiment - a "white" elite unit ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Those who took part at the "wolves" of General Shkuro and had to have new pogony made, usually chose "black" as piping - and also to adapt the badges of rank to the desired dark outfit of the unit ...:

[IMG]

I also decided to paint "Petro" silver pogony with black piping!

With these colors ...

[IMG]

... and and several successive dry brushing runs I tried to make the shoulder pieces look "used" and "worn" as possible!

I simulated the tsarist double eagle stamped on the head with various small dots of undiluted color.

Finally, the golden stars got a thin wash with black so that they adapt to the general picture and not shine too much!

That's how it got ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Everyday it's good to see so much detail and again with references to match

Obviously a good idea to hid things at the time

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    48. Day, March 27, 2020

Today it is the turn of the details that turn a long tailored jacket into a Caucasian Cherkesska, the cartridge loops on the bust!

On both sides of the chest were cartridge loops on the Cherkesskas, so-called "Kapsitulinij" ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Their number was not regulated, but I do not know a single picture in which there were fewer than five per breast side!

The maximum number depended on the personal taste of the owner (and his chest width!)!

So-called "Gazyrij" were in this "Kapsitulnij"...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

These were hollow wooden sleeves with a silver cap as a closure...:

[IMG]

Originally, the Gazyrij each contained the precisely measured amount of powder for a rifle shot - which made it possible to quickly reload the weapon in combat.

[IMG]

With the advent of breech-loading rifles and brass cartridges, the Gazyrij were then only warlike jewelry - often loose machorka takaks were kept in them!

The Gazyrij silver caps were often very old - and were usually passed on from father to oldest son.

However, Heinz added a few details to the bust at my special request:

In many cases, the Gazyrij were secured against loss with small silver chains...

[IMG]

... and these chains in turn were attached to the Cherkesska with attached Afgraffes ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Since in Kauksaus - especially in Cherkessia - the majority of Muslims lived (and still live), from whom the Cossacks took over clothing and weapons, Muslim symbols dominate in the agraffes - mostly crescent and star ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Today I painted the gazyrij, the chains and one visible agraffe (the other disappears in the arm beige!).

[IMG]

Only with the Agraffe I was not satisfied - the star that should be seen there does not come out properly!

[IMG]

So I sat down and remodeled this tiny star on "Fimo" - as best I can...:

[IMG]

After "baking" in the oven, it was glued on and also painted, whereby I carefully indicated the silver chasing, as with the Gazyrij caps, with diluted black oil paint ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So much for today.

Cheers
    KenBoyle, captnenglish, Borek and 2 others like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

As expected these details have something added by you , star looks good as does the painting

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Borek and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Martin...…...Slow and steady wins the race.....Who is the guy that looks nine feet tall in the painting showing the epaulets, below the pic of the guy being strung up?
    Stay safe,
    Wayne
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    49. Day, March 30, 2020

Our hero is getting a little more colorful today - I have turned to his awards!

"Petro" has two awards, one from the Tsarist period and one from the Russian Civil War. And I start with the Civil War Order!

It's this one ...:

[IMG]

The order has two names or meanings:

It is first called the "Ice March Order" - and commemorates the suffering of the "white" volunteer army between February and April 1918.

During this time, the "whites" had to withdraw from the area of ​​the Don Cossacks before a huge superiority of the "Red Workers and Peasants Army" - partly over the frozen Azov sea to the Kuban area.

The force and the thousands of civilians it accompanied had to march hundreds of kilometers through icy steppe areas and camp outside without any quarters...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The misery was constantly attacked by "red" partisans and angry farmers, whom - to survive - they stole the food.

Remembering this "ice march" is the first meaning of the order.

His second name is "Order of the First Cuban Campaign".

Because when the volunteer army reached the Cuban area after months of ice marching, they could not catch a breath there, but were forced to go straight from the march into heavy fighting!

Although the group, which had melted down to a few thousand men, new anti-Bolshevik forces poured in from the Cuban area and brought them back to a headcount of approximately 25,000 men - but quarters and headquarters had to be fought for!

But the attempt to conquer the capital of the Cuban area, Yekatarinodar (today: Krasnodar), failed bloodily!

[IMG]

In addition, the commanding officer of the "whites", General Lawr Kornilow, died...

[IMG]

... through a shell hit on his headquarters.

His successor, General Anton Denikin ...

[IMG]

... retreated - and led the troops back north ...

[IMG]

To recall this - ultimately failed - campaign is the second meaning of the order.

The "Ice March Order" was in three classes:

In the lowest 3rd class ar the order was silver and showed a sword surrounded by the Christian crown of thorns ...:

[IMG]

The crown of thorns was an important symbol of the "whites", who understood their struggle against the Bolsheviks as crusades and sacrifice.

In the 2nd class the sword was golden ...

[IMG]

... and in the - highest - 1st class the award was given entirely in gold; the execution was also worked much finer than in the two lower classes...:

[IMG]

(One automatically asks oneself when and how the "whites" found time to think about such things at all, let alone to realize them!)

The medal ribbon was the same for all three classes - it is the typical Russian "Georg ribbon" made of black and orange stripes. Not easy to paint, by the way!

Our "Petro" is just a small Sotnik (leader of the hundreds, for example a lieutenant) - so he only got the lowest - silver - 3rd class.

I used these colors to paint ...:

[IMG]

And here is the result ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    KenBoyle, captnenglish and Borek like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Interesting about the Ice March and good information on the classes of the medal ......looks good painted up

Look forward to the second .....at least there's only 2 !!

Just out of interest what's the cross badges under the medals in the colour reference ?

Thanks for sharing

Happy bench time

Stay safe

Nap
    captnenglish likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    50. Day, March 31, 2020

The second medal that our hero wore he received during the tsarist era - it is the "Order of Holy Anna" (Орденъ Святой Анны / Orden Svyatoi Anny) ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    According to his rank, he wears the lowest - third - class.

The Order of Saint Anne was a purely award for military merits - there was another version with swords for special merits on the battlefield (in battle!) ...:

[IMG]

"Military merits" - this was a broad spectrum in Tsarist Russia and could range from the transportation of important courier mail at the risk of life, to good service as an adjutant of any high-ranking employee, to ten years of impeccable service.

I used these colors to paint the order - the red cross was finally covered with "Gloss Varnish" ...:

[IMG]

This is how the finished hero breast looks now ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

At the moment I'm wondering if I might make him some "blink-blink". Let's see...
    Cheers
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Above: Gallipoli Cross Badge of General Wrangel's Army (the last "white" army at the crimea...:

[IMG]

Below: I must search - seems like a regimental badge.

Cheers
    Borek and Nap like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Great picture reference , must admit Russian medals are some of the most lovely ones I have seen

As always research is your forte and it shows they look great both painted

One question ......woukd the actual medals hang at a slight angle ...or were they held in place ? ...just interested

Go on add something else ...the 2 medals need a friend ......lol

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
    captnenglish and Martin Rohmann like this.
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    51. Day, April 1, 2020

In search of an optical "counterweight" to the orders, I came up with the following:

Russia was (and is) THE country in Europe with the most cadet and junker schools, officer schools, war schools, military academies and training schools for the various branches of arms.

And almost every tsarist officer (and also partisans of the "whites" in the civil war) had at least one badge for graduates from one of these schools.

Can you see well here:

[IMG]

Three of these Cossacks have the same badge - so it has to be, even if it's hard to sculpt.

I also chose a second one from the sheer mass of these graduate badges - and sculpted it also with "Milliput" ...:

[IMG]

If I glue them to the bust and paint them tomorrow, I'll tell you more about them.

So much for today...
    Cheers
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Classy putty work and WOW!!! they are small

Look forward to tommorow and the update

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    52. Day, April 2, 2020

So - I'm done with the "tinsel"!

"Petro" got two graduate badges ...:

The first is from the Junker school in the city of Kazan - a kind of higher education institution for offspring from the better circles, who were prepared there for their later duties in the civil service and especially in the military ...:

[IMG]

The second is the graduate badge of the Nikolaj Cavalry School in Saint Petersburg ...:

[IMG]

This school was considered the best training institution for young officers of the cavalry in the Russian Empire - the school's commander was the uncle of the tsar himself, Grand Duke Nikolay Nikolayevich, who was also the general inspector of the cavalry ...

[IMG]

The Grand Duke became known in the West as the commander-in-chief of the Russian army from 1914 to 1916, when the tsar stupidly took over this post himself - and from then on was made directly responsible for any military setback.

By far the most prominent graduate of this cavalry school was this noncommissioned officer ...:

[IMG]

What he learned there he never forgot!

So, in his mid-fifties, on the most important historical day of his country, he managed to ride before the eyes of the whole world during a parade a very difficult white Arabian stallion, who threw off his boss, who had actually wanted to lead the parade himself, during rehearsals would have...

Does anybody know whom am I talking about?

Well, the really tiny badges were primed, glued to "Petros" hero breast and then with these colors ...

[IMG]

painted...:

[IMG]

Cheers
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Again really good picture references and again I say the badges are very impressive not on,y in real life but on the bust , they balance well against the medals

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap

PS I recognise that picture Zhukov image.jpeg
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Yep, it's Shukov!

Here the original film...:

(My favourite sequenz comes from minute 33)...

-------------------------------------------

53. Day, April 3, 2020

The front part of the sleeve now literally shines in black.

Fresh oil-black when the sun is low, slamming through the window, it is practically impossible to take pictures!

[IMG]

The pictures only so that you can at least guess light and shadow ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  17. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Sleeve is looking good showing as you say where the highs and shadows will be

Thanks for update

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  18. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    54. Day, April 6, 2020

I'm done with the black Tscherkesska sleeve.

The unwanted oil shine is also slowly given up - in four or five days it will be dull ...

[IMG]
    [IMG]

[IMG]

Next up are the shirt cuff and the sleeve badge ...

Cheers
    MattMcK., KenBoyle, Joe55 and 3 others like this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

It's a good job you like painting black ....looks good as does the rear view

Do you use a heat box on oils or leave them to dry naturally ?

Look forward to the arm badge details ...I am saving all references from your threads !

Thanks for sharing

Stay safe

Nap
  20. Borek A Fixture

Czech-Republic
    Great photo background and a great sbs. As I have more time, I will have to examine the thread from the beginning. Great job Martin, just keep going :)

Cheers Borek
    Martin Rohmann and Nap like this.