1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shkuros Wolves...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    37. Day, March 10, 2020

I start painting the torso with the Beshmet (shirt)!

Our model is wearing a black one with a clearly visible blue cast - probably silk, which was not rare ...:

[IMG]

I do the same thing - and use these colors ...:

[IMG]

The basic tone consists of "ivory black" and "ultramarine dark" (50:50) for the shadows I increase the black portion to pure black.

The lights are created by adding more and more skin tones to the basic color.

So far so good!

Only photographing the whole thing drove me up the tree again - and that several times!

Due to the gloss of the still damp colors, lights and shadows are barely visible - you just have to believe me that they are there - even on the back of the collar!

[IMG]

[IMG]

In order to imitate "silk" I will now give the Beshmet a finish with this...

[IMG]

... as soon as the oil paint is dry.

Cheers
    captnenglish and Nap like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Good start on the shirt , interesting your using a flesh to high , I can see the highs but they will look more once dry and with the satin on the shirt

Thanks for update

Happy benchtime

Nap
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Tomorrow I'll make some more "higher" highlights by using Blue, Skintone and add a bit white...

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    38. Day, March 11, 2020

Actually, I wanted to put the highlights on the shirt today - and then move on to the next detail, but nothing came of it!

Because my inner "rivet counter" has spoken again - and I got used to listening to it. Most of the time he's right!

What's the matter:

Take a look at the stand-up collar of the original painting ...:

[IMG]

And now the same place on the bust ...:

[IMG]

What do you see?

Right - the stand-up collar of a soft (silk) shirt never looks so smooth when the wearer of the shirt is moving smoothly, like our "Petro"!

There are a lot of wrinkles missing!

Decision: rebuild the collar - model the drapery.

Execution...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

It is easier to write than it is, because it is pretty tight up there between the shoulder pieces and the pistol cord!

And because I am the "king of the break offs", I had to - after the collar - also make a new piece of this cord ...

Cheers
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

A perfect example of your dedication to getting it just correct all credit to you for working in such a small area

I thought for a moment you were adding the award at the neck !!

Look forward to seeing the collar repainted

Happy benchtime

Nap
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    39. Day, March 12, 2020

Washed down the old paint, re-primed the collar and chest area ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Fit test with head ...:

[IMG]

The work was worth it!

Cheers
    Nap and Joe55 like this.
  7. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Well done on that collar Martin(y)!

Joe
    Martin Rohmann and Nap like this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

The work certainly was worth it ...nice decision

With the head on even as a test he looks menacing ......and dangerous

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    40. Day, March 13, 2020

The shirt chest is - now for the second time - painted!

I make the folds as hard as I can just hold them, but I don't want to go any further into the lights, because later there will still be the angled arm with the saber in front ...:

[IMG]

For the time being I leave the collar still...

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

The shirt looks good right decision ref the highs

Look forward to the arm being in place ...then possibly any adjustment to the highs ...if any

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    41. Day, March 16, 2020

Well - the selfmade collar is now also painted!

At the moment it still looks ... :yuck: , for the fresh color is so shiny ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Lot of work for a position that you can hardly see later ...

[IMG]

... but it was fun ...
    Cheers
  12. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    42. Day, March 17, 2020

Today I'm doing the "silk" finish of the Beshmet shirt!

With this stuff here ...:

[IMG]

The name "painting medium" is slightly misleading. This "iridescent" stuff is water-soluble and dries absolutely matt and transparent!

It leaves a gentle mother-of-pearl shine on the surface painted with it. This mother-of-pearl effect becomes weaker the more you dilute the stuff.

I paint my shirt in three stages:

On the lights at the top of the collar there is the strongest degree of permeability dilution about 1: 1, on the lights in the chest area is thinned more (about 1: 3) and in the shadow valleys on the curb and on the collar comes more water than painting medium (about 1: 5), alsp the most diluted mixture.

In the following pictures the stuff is not quite dry yet - but the effect is as I imagined it ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    43. Day, March 18, 2020

COVID-19 has one good thing: You can paint completely undisturbed!

Today - on the back of the bust - I tried the color mix "black" for the Cherkesska.

I enriched the black with a spor carmine red, hardly noticeable, but gives the color a slightly more interesting tone, I think!

[IMG]

I just have to be careful not to add too much red, because then the lights will turn pink - and of course I don't want that!

For the deep shadows, of course, I use pure black, I pull some lights up into the white.

And it is a real pleasure to paint the drapery sculpted by Markus!

The result - since I've just finished, "Petro's" back shines violently ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]
    Cheers
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Catching up a little ....the effect on the shirt works well and with the back painted shows even more , not tried adding a red to a black mix

..........the drapery is really nicely done and painting has brought that out ...once it's dried back will show even more

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    44. Day, March 19, 2020

Varnished, varnished, varnished - with basic color (black with a hint of carmine) and jet black.

In addition, I have reinforced the light guidance on the back in a few places ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    YES YES YES

Looks really good Martin

How you paint black is always good to see

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Stay safe

Nap
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    45. Day, March 20, 2020

Front side painted - even to the belt!

But I cannot offer you more than this one sad picture - the shiny black is simply "unphotographable!"

[IMG]

:yuck:

Cheers
    Joe55 and Nap like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

It may be only 1 picture but the highs and skill at painting such a difficult colour is evident

Look forward to the next update

Happy benchtime

Nap
  19. kingbingo Guest

Austria
    I'm happy to see you here too! Great work what you deliver here. :) (y)
    Martin Rohmann and Nap like this.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    46. Day, March 24, 2020

The black of our hero's Cherkesska is now at least dry enough that photography is better again - and you can see a few details of the painting.

I'll start with the details - the first thing is the cords around the neck of "Petro"!

These things prevented the pistol from falling to the ground in hand-to-hand combat if the owner had to let it go.

Such cords were available in all colors - mostly things were worn to match the barbel.

I've already painted a red one, a light blue one too - so don't speak against painting the "standard" version - and it was reddish brown ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Instead of the lower loop...

[IMG]

... which was supposed to prevent the two cord strings from gaping apart, a silver sleeve was often worn in the Caucasus - which of course I did too!

The whole thing happens with these colors ...:

[IMG]

And now looks like this:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Nap likes this.