1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shkuros Wolves...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Nice work references again , eyes look good are you going to add any more colur to the White ..looks quite bright ?

If you add eyelashes I am throwing all my stuff away ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    5. Day, January 25, 2020

After thinking about it for a long time, I decided to leave the Irisse as it is!

Our horse has raised its head and is looking backwards / downwards with great excitement - then it actually looks like this ...:

[IMG]

But how nice that I have a figure friend and who is professionally concerned with eyes!

The crucial hint is this here ...:

This corner is meant here ...:

[IMG]

So I herewith ...

[IMG]

... indicated the connective tissue.

Effect: The "white" in the eye now appears smaller, the eyeball / iris ratio is now correct!

Last but not least, on the Irissen, which appeared to me to be "monochrome" brown, with a mixture of ...

[IMG]

... painted some thin "streaks".

And now I think: It fits!

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, Joe55 and Nap like this.
  3. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    6. Day, January 27, 2020

[IMG]

Before I start painting my Cossack horse, some history:

There were (and are) two different Cossack tribes in Russia: the steppe cossacks and the so-called "line cossacks"!

The best known steppe cossacks are those of the Don Host, which have bred their horses themselves from an old age. The focus was on endurance (high marching performance), insensitivity to weather and climate, and frugality.

And the Don Cossacks paid attention to equality in their horse breeding!

Almost 90 percent of Don horses (actually their own breed!) Are so-called "foxes", so they have a reddish-brown coat and a mane of the same color ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The second photo was my template years ago, when I painted the horse of my Don Cossack Kusma Krjutschkow ...:

[IMG]

The horses of the "line cossacks", however, were completely different! They were called that because they guarded the so-called "line", Russia's southern border in the Caucasus, which was formed by the rivers Kuban and Terek.

The line cossacks formed two armies, namely the Kuban Cossacks and the Terek Cossacks.

And they needed horses that coped perfectly with the conditions in the Caucasus - the plains and high mountains.

The Cossacks did not have to "invent" and breed these horses when they came to the Caucasus - they already existed!

It was the "Karbadine" Caucasian horse breed!

[IMG]

Originally, these horses came from the "Karbada", an autonomous Caucasian principality that was tiny in the old days (until the Russians subjugated it and incorporated it into their sphere of influence), but today the Kabarda together with the neighboring region forms the Republic of Karbado-Balkaria of the Russian Federation...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The horses bred there were perfectly adapted to the conditions of the Caucasus!

[IMG]

They were extremely efficient and persistent and coped with the hot summers (up to 30 degrees!) on the plains as well as with extreme winter conditions (up to minus 20 degrees!) in the high mountains.

They were undemanding in terms of their feed (the high Caucasus is not exactly known for its lush meadows!), had relatively small but extremely hard hooves (which made them "off-road" on rock, so to speak, without needing to be shod!) and they were extremely sure-footed in the mountains.

A typical Karbadine horse is much more delicate than a western European, well proportioned and of "noble" appearance ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

The Cossacks in the Caucasus adopted not only the way of life and clothing (the famous "Circassian uniform") from their native opponents, but also their horses and training methods.

The horses were loyal like dogs and perfectly trained for every fight.

During the firefight, they lay down on a "wink" from their rider and offered him cover...

[IMG]

...they had soft passages (i.e. their backs did not swing) and thus offered their rider a good "shooting platform" even at full gallop!

[IMG]

And when it came to close combat, these horses also fought by pushing, beating and biting opposing horses - and also their riders!

Imagine a "red" cavalryman who fights against a "white" Cossack and who has his hands full fighting back the Cossack saber hacking at him. And suddenly his opponent's horse bites him fully in the unprotected thigh!

Such a horse has blunt teeth, so it doesn't tear holes when it bites, but causes extremely painful bruises and bruises!

I know what I am talking about: once in a lifetime a horse bit me"rightely" (in the kidney area when sitting up) - and it literally took weeks until I could walk straight and painlessly and the remains of this "horse kiss", shimmering in all colors had healed!

Certain fur colors, such as those of the Don Cossacks, were of little importance in the Caucasus, but in the field "unobtrusive" colors - black and brown mostly - were preferred...:

[IMG]

On the other hand, more conspicuous molds were ridden for representation purposes - such as in the "Dschgitowka" artists' games.

Well - I want to equip my Cossack, who is standing in the field, with a normal "brown" - and once I went in search of a "horse face" that I like.

I chose this one here ...:

[IMG]

I then picked these colors together ...

[IMG]

... and started painting the horse's head.

Here are the first results ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

So much for today!

Cheers
    Oda, captnenglish and Nap like this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Very good to read about the attitude to the horse for the Cossack

I find it interesting also you use fiesh within your chosen colours

Now the eye is surrounded by colour it looks alive

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Martin Rohmann like this.
  5. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    7. Day, January 28, 2020

I nearly finished the painting of the horse's head ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

And when I look at the result like this, I'm happy to have invested the extra work in modeling the "fur" beforehand with the texture paste!

It was only in the pictures that I noticed that I had to go back to the blendings on the left nasal bone and left ear ...:

[IMG]

That can be found ...

I have not yet painted the lower part of the mouth because - well, I'll tell you tomorrow ...

Cheers
    Oda, Henk and captnenglish like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

A good finish on the head good colour choice as well

Intrigued about the lower mouth ...a full set of teeth perhaps ?

I can wait till tommorow ...lol

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  7. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    :D
    Oda likes this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    8. Day, January 29, 2020

Yesterday my inner button, rivet and bean counter again spoke up!

Our horse has a wide open mouth - and if you look in there you should actually see the front incisors above and below, two lower molars, the tongue and the bit of the bridle there.

[IMG]

Well, the tongue is there, otherwise there is a yawning emptiness in the horse's mouth.

Time to change that!

I made a piece of bit out of solder ...

[IMG]

... our horse has one like this ...

[IMG]

... and glued in the back of the mouth.

Then the visible teeth were made from Milliput ...:

[IMG]

And these teeth don't have to be beautiful, flawless or even - horses have enormously ugly teeth ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, captnenglish, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  9. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    9. Day, January 30, 2020

Horse mouth painted outside and inside ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, Henk, captnenglish and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Missed yesterday's ...the shame of it !!

Great references and a a good colour match on the mouth .....bring on the teeth ...

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda and Martin Rohmann like this.
  11. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    10. Day, January 31, 2020

First neck side...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, Nap and captnenglish like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

As I said before amazes me how you match each area you paint

Looking good

Will you push the highlights more ?

Nap
  13. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    I do not know yet. I actually like it quite well ...

Cheers
    Nap likes this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    11. Day, January 3, 2020

The other side of the horse's neck - photography is once again a damn matter of luck ...:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cheers
    Oda and Nap like this.
  15. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Thanks for the update ...again a good match with colour , the highs look good with the shadows not overworked

Look forward to tomorrows post ...possibly the mane being next in line for the brush

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  16. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    12. Day, February 4, 2020

The mane...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
    Oda, Henkm, Old Pete and 1 other person like this.
  17. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    13. Day, February 5, 2020

In a fit of daring, I painted the in mane a lot of contrasts - up to pure white ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Looks good on the horse, I think - or how do you see that ...?

Cheers
    Oda, Henk, Henkm and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

I see where your coming from on the mane ..for me it looks too stark ..possibly go more darker on the highs

Things do look different sometimes in pics and you do have it in front of you of course

The horse colur is looking really good

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and captnenglish like this.
  19. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom

I agree, the highlights look a bit to harsh, especially compared to the exquisite shading on the skin and eyes. Superb work sofar.
    Oda and captnenglish like this.
  20. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    You are both right! I will dampen the effect with a few thin glazes tomorrow...

Cheers+Thx!!!
    Oda, Henk, Nap and 1 other person like this.