1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sherlock or the Hound?

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Joe Hudson, Feb 12, 2004.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

Here are a few very quick shots of my Sherlock and the Hound. I still have a few small details to finish but just wanted to show you that I have been working on something. :) Again any comments welcomed.

Joe

Attached Files:

2. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    another one

Attached Files:

3. Robin Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Lovely Joe Bloody marvelous infact

Robin
  4. Larry R New Member

Outstanding work, really nice
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Beautiful You have done a super......super.....job!!!!! I love the design on Sherlock's coat. wow
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Nice work Joe! (y) Can't wait to see it in person.

-jim cox
  7. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Joe!

Sherlock is looking great buddy! The coat is superb as well is the setting, awesome man!
  8. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
  9. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    That is AWESOME Joe! You have done an excellent job. That design on his coat is P-E-R-F-E-C-T. (y) (y) (y)
  10. Hardy Guest

Simply superb, I would love to see it in the flesh!!!!!! Dam internet.
  11. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    The coat turned out marvelous!
  12. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys,

Thanks very much for the kind comments. You don't know how I appreciate it because I was not totally happy with the way it turned out. I do think it looks better in person and I will try to post a few better pictures soon. One thing that I did like is the eyes on the hound. You can't really see it from these pictures but they are a glowing red. My friend Bill Chilstrom told me a trick he had done on his wizard and I gave it a try. What I did was paint the eyes a chrome silver and then put on a coat of Tamyia clear red. The effect is pretty cool.

Thanks again for the kind comments and all the help while he was being sculpted.

Joe
  13. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Joe-

3 words for you...

More Pictures Please!

Keith
  14. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Keith,

Thanks. I will try to get a few better ones soon.

Joe :)
  15. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Joe, it would also be interesting if you could tell a little bit about the groundwork & scenery - it's fantastic!
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Joe,

The finished vignette looks GREAT! (y)

Two small remarks, if you don't mind.

1- From my childhood recollections of the book, the Hound should be more 'monstrous' than this. It was a 'hound from Hell', remember? Maybe I was more easily impressed then

2- Concerning the composition of the scene, I think it would have a greater impact if you've 'cropped' tighter to the action.

IMO, there's too much scenery which serves nothing but to distract the viewer's eye from the action. As it's often the case, less is more.

What do you guys think?

Q.
  17. johnbrewer New Member

Yes, more groundwork info please.
  18. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    ... My friend, what are you going to say when within six months I'll have put your wonderful Apache on a large base with rocks, a desert buzzard on a cactus, and a roadrunner chasing a diamondback between the rocks ? (No, don't tell me you'll say "beep beep" :lol: ) In some cases depicting some of the "environment" can be very interesting - just a personal opinion of course. And I'd love to know how Joe did those rocks and that tree! :)

I seem to remember that at the end it came out that the dog was just a big dog which they had painted with some stuff that glowed in the dark - hence the ghostly effect. Great movie!
  19. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Thanks, Johan but I'll stick with the zen garden.

When I said 'too much scenery', I was talking about the composition of the scene. I've prepared a Photoshop document to make my point. Too bad I can't post it here (Workshop). Will create another topic in Sculpting and post it there.

Q.
  20. Johan Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Now I'm just thinking aloud here - hope I'll be forgiven for that. But if instead of Sherlock and the hound, you had a mountain man and a puma (or do you say "mountain lion"?), wouldn't that be great too?

Sorry for going slightly off topic here for a moment.