1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shep Paine's current condition / R.I.P. Shep

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by theBaron, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I don't know him, have never met him, but like many others I have been greatly inspired by his work. I don't think that it's too much of a stretch to say that without him and Francois Verlinden, the hobby as we know it would not exist. A true pioneer and legend - and by all accounts a very nice and modest bloke. Really hope he pulls though.

- Steve
  2. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    would it not be a good idea to have a model show once a year dedicated to shep payne, in every country, similar to world expo,after all he has inspired modellers all over the world? / badger
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. OldTaff PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    I, too, met Shep there, briefly,as so many folk wanted to chat. Great guy, very gracious, and always a huge inspiration. May the gods watch over him.

Alan
    tomifune likes this.
  4. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    An inspirational man. Our thoughts are with him to make a good recovery.

Chris
  5. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    I got to see him last, when we held a retrospective of his work at our show. He'd been slowing down as far as traveling is concerned, which is not unusual as we get older. But he was as animated and gracious as ever, with patrons, painters/modelers and fans alike. Praying for his recovery, because I don't think we're ready to say good-bye yet.
    Range Rat and napoleonpeart like this.
  6. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Shep Paine is a true stalwart of this hobby , hope for a good recovery .

Ron
    Huw63 likes this.
  7. Helm A Fixture

England
    Sad news don't know the bloke, but do know what he means to the hobby
    Steve
  8. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Sad to hear the news, I wish Shep a speedy recovery.

Malc
  9. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    An absolute 'Icon' in this hobby......can't think of another single person who has had such an impact on so many peoples lives in the best of ways.
    My sincerest best wishes for a speedy recovery and to the support of his family and friends.

Sincerely

Ron
    Huw63 likes this.
  10. Jimdero Member

An update from the Paine family: Shep's condition remains unchanged, but tomorrow afternoon, he will move onto the hospice-care floor of the hospital. Your continued thoughts and prayers mean the world to those at his side.
    theBaron likes this.
  11. badger Well-Known Member

Scotland
    I am not very religious ,but I will put in a good word for him./badger
  12. alamac Well-Known Member

Australia
    The megastar of our hobby and an inpiration to all , my thoughts and best wishes to Shep and his family
    Cheers
    Al
  13. Mat Lambert A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Terribly sad news - I wish all the best for Shep and his family. As has been said his skill and reputation are legendary - alongside Francois Verlinden he was the first 'named' modeller I was ever aware of.
    Cheers
    Mat
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

If you wish to post on FB there is also a Shep tribute page now running

A speedy recovery to Shep and thoughts with him and the family

Nap
  15. tock24 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Met Shep several times at the OMSS shows/dinners in the late 70's / early 80's. He is a very down to earth guy and will always give you the time of day. Wishing for a very speedy recovery to a truly wonderful guy.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  16. garyhiggins A Fixture

England
    I've never met Shep Paine, but he has always been one of my greatest inspirations. I hope he recovers soon.
    Condolences and best wishes, Gary.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  17. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Our thoughts are with Shep and his family, one True gent and a great modeller we wish him well and a speedy recovery.

ian & Ellie

www.elliesminiatures
    garyhiggins likes this.
  18. Jimdero Member

Hello Friends: Shep passed on Saturday, peacefully and without pain, knowing that he was in the thoughts and hearts of many.
    A tribute to his memory can be read on the MMSI Web site and the club's Facebook page. Immediate services are private, but details will be announced soon for a celebration of his life to be held on Sunday, Oct. 25 following the Chicago Show.
    Per his wishes, the MMSI has established The Shep Paine Education Fund to continue his invaluable work as an educator and proselytizer for the art of miniatures via classes, seminars, and other projects. Tax-deductible donations can be made via PayPal to MMSIChicagoShow@gmail.com or by mail to MMSI Treasurer Tom Surlak, 3135 Secretariat Drive, Aurora, IL 60602.
    Thank you for your support and love.
    Diana, Martha and Emily (Shep's sisters)
  19. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    My sincere condolences to family and friends.

Joe
  20. Mark S Guest

An awful thing indeed...my sincere condolences go to his family.