1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shenandoah Union Infantryman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by billyturnip, Jun 2, 2007.

1. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Here's a work in progress photo of my latest project a 54mm Shenandoah figure of a Union infantryman.
    If anyone has any suggestions to what regiment this figure could belong to I will paint a unit designation on the water bottle. At the moment I have no idea!

Roger

[IMG]
  2. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

As shown here, he's pretty generic. Do you have a picture of hte top of his kepi? The color and shape of the emblems will tell a lot. Minimally, I could tell you the division. If there's a number and letter painted or molded on, I can tell you the company and regiment.
    That's also a pretty non-standard placement for his canteen. His bayonet or scabbard will be scraping against it and if he need to go to the double step, it's going to be bouncing around quite uncomfortably. As he is marching, his left arm will be hitting it as well. The standard placement is on the left rear hip.
  3. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thanks for the interest. I think this is supposed to be a pretty generic Union infantryman. The only emblem on top of his cap is a bugle horn. No Div insignia, numbers or letters.
    Thats interesting about the canteen and I can see what you mean.
    My plan is to paint a unit designation on the canteen but I'm pretty sure if I choose a Union regiment from the small amount of ref. material I have it may well not be correct for the uniform being worn. If you could suggest a regiment that would be great.

Roger
  4. eissteban Active Member

France
    hi roger
    How work so fast ??? I'm a snail comparatively with you
    The start look so good

Seb.
  5. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Seb, thanks my friend. I have to make up for the six months of the year I am away from painting:D
    Once I'm in the mood I can't stop:)

Roger
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger, It is a pretty generic figure. He could represent any one of the many units that wore a frock or even mix of frock coats and sack (fatigue) coats. Though the bugle identifies him as infantry there is noting worng with carving it off (next time). There are a number of wartime images showing units without "hat brass". You could paint a corps badge on top of the cap. The color could be red, white, or blue which designates the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd Division. A badge or other designation could be put on the canteen if you'd like, although there are numbers of actual items without them. Personally unless your research shows all of these things worn at once I'd keep it as simple as possible.~Gary
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Thank you Gary I think that's a very good idea.
    There's more to this ACW uniform stuff than first meets the eye. However the next one I do will be of a specific regiment. Plans are afoot and I'll be doing the research before I buy the figure this time:)
    We'll call this one a practice run.

Roger
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Roger, There really is a LOT more to Civil War uniforms than most folks think/know. The recent (within the past 10+ years) information and scholarship on Confederate uniforms alone gives us a different picture of the Southern soldier.~Gary
  9. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Gary, at the moment for reference I have Don Troiani's Regiments & Uniforms and a couple of Osprey's and a very long list!!

Roger
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Nice beginning Roger!!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Dan. This is just a practice run for painting Union blue. I have the Michael Roberts 100mm Private, 6th Wisconsin, 1863. on order from Colorado Miniatures, and then a Zouave I think and then.... the list goes on.

Roger
  12. AJLaFleche Well-Known Member

I did a quick Google search for the various emblems. Here is a good result: Corps Badges
    This would typically be a piece of felt, some has a border, some not. It would be to the back of the bugle.A regimental number could be in the bugle's center and the company letter forward of the bugle. But as Gary said, not all hats kept these. A lost hat would be replaced, but not necessarilly with one with all or any of the items. The canteen could have a regimental number on it. It could be painted or brass like the hat. This was more of a personal preference. The hat brass and badge were used by officers, typicallyu on horseback, to identify their own troops.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I'm not too crazy with the white borders given to the graphics of the corps badges on the Wikipedia page. The badges were cut from hand held dies and were a solid color. There were faux embroidered badges that could be made from brass or other metals that an officer or enlisted man could wear on their chest. A number of times these badges could have the soldier's initials, regt and or company letter on them.~Gary
  14. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Al & Gary thank you vry much for the above information. I know who I'm going to ask if I find myself stuck in future.:D

Roger
  15. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Roger

very good start with your new figure. But I think we must wait some weeks before it is ready. Or it is possible for you to finish him before you had to go to work?

Want to see more. And he not no "funny" look ;)

Ulrich
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Hi Ulrich, I don't think you will have to wait too long. I got a lot done last night and I was up early this morning and did some more while it is quite around here.
    The last comment from my darling wife was "he looks wierd". Oh well you can't please everyone. If he does maybe the people on Planet Figure are too polite to say so:)

Roger
  17. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Nice one

Hi roger
    Nice figure, paint work coming on great. Nice one. :D
    Pete
  18. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Cheers Pete. Just having a look at the forum after doing a bit to the groundwork.

Roger
  19. eissteban Active Member

France
    [ except subject ]
    hi roger
    just to say,my friend, many thanks for the link about soviet uniforms
    very good and interresting pictures, now in my shortcuts

Seb.