1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Shake The Etch A Sketch....

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by renarts, Dec 25, 2012.

1. renarts Active Member

United-States
    Working on a bust, I found myself overworking it. Paint was getting heavy and despite some parts that I really liked, I was just not happy with it overall. And this was even after walking away from it.
    The end result was tonight, I scrapped it, stripped it and now waiting for it to dry so that tomorrow I can shoot it with primer and start over. I had reached my etch a sketch moment of turning it over, giving it a shake and starting over.
    Ever get to that point?
  2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Often, you are definitely not alone.

Roger.
  3. Tubby-Nuts-REMOVED Guest

United-Kingdom
    I must commend our patience!... I usaually get as far as just 'Shooting', it.......... with my Rifle!

Mark
    renarts likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there ,

Renart.....We have all been there many times so a clean start is the best way to go IMO ...."etch a sketch"...surely you do not remeber these !!!

Tubby Nuts ....an air rifle eh ..my mate Jimbo has a machine gun set up !!!!!...I am currently trying to stop him from loading it on a sculpting project !!!!

Nap
    Tubby-Nuts' likes this.
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Constantly!
    For me, it's unusual that a piece doesn't get stripped at least once.
    Usually it take me a couple of tries beforwe I get the face looking right.
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    In my case, I often reach what I laughingly call the Centex moment. It would only take a pencil eraser-worth. Maybe less. :rolleyes:

All the best,
    Dan
  7. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    It takes courage, particularly if you like aspects of what you have done and don't want to lose them. You also risk losing momentum. But in my experience, if the mood takes you, its almost always the right thing to do and the final result is invariably better. I just went through that same process with my McCrae bust, first painted in oils, then stripped and repainted in Vallejos.

Looking forward to seeing the new work.

Colin
  8. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    Happens a lot. Bust are easier to do that with as they usually are not that complex.

It is one thing that some paintjob does not reach up to the standard you was looking for. Its another if you dont like it. Then stripping is the only solution. Pardon the pun. Also, it is important that you still feel the passion for the subject to do that. And sometimes some time have to come between the stripping until you pick it up and give it another go.

In the end, only your view is important.

Cheers
    Janne Nilsson
  9. renarts Active Member

United-States
    The bust is a historex bust of a Empress Dragoon. I was really happy with the coat and the helmet and leopard skin wrap, but the facing of the coat was just giving me fits and the face was looking a little overworked. So I just figured it was time for a do over. Sometimes it gives you a new perspective on the project and re-vitalizes the verve. So primer shot this morning and I'll start painting tonight or tomorrow again. Other pieces on the bench that are waiting. I wanted this one for Atlanta so I have incentive to get it done. I get some photos as I get into it to show progress.