1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

shadows

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by trnkepfc, Nov 8, 2017.

1. trnkepfc New Member

When i mixing shadows, base + Cadm. Umber Red (876+814 vallejo acrylics),my darkest shadow is purple is that ok or not?

cheers
    Ratomir
  2. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

I think it depends what base colour and colour effect it is you are after. Also, what (base) colour are you trying to get shadows in?

For instance a purple shadow with a green base coat might be too intense, while with a red colour it might not be enough (i.e. looks too flat)?

Also, do you want a warm tone to your colour, then your purple (shadow) needs to have more red to it, while if you are looking for a colder colour it needs to be more leaning to the blue side of purple.

Hope this helps
    Slainte
    L.H.
    winfield likes this.
  3. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    It sounds like you might be doing flesh painting as those colors are recommended in Vallejo's Flesh paint set. If so, the Burnt red (814) can tend to look a little purple but the darkest shadow should only be used minimally and a slight purple/violet tinge is ok for flesh in many cases. Just don't over do the shadows. I use these colors and the end result looks fine to me. These are the suggested base (876) Brown sand and shadows (814) Burnt red for medium to dark skin.

Ken
  4. trnkepfc New Member

Thank you guys,i'll try again and i'll post pictures.

Ratomir