1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sgt. Daniel Duval, 121st Ohio Infantry Regt

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Anders Heintz, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is one of the latest sculpts I've completed. It was kind of a cool project as it is of Kreston Peckham's Great Great Grandfather Daniel Duval of Company C of the 121st Ohio Infantry Regt. Kreston will be painting this figure and I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece! 54mm original with a Hornet head and unknown make resin canteen.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Attached Files:

2. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a great one Anders.
    I know now why you hadn't post for a while.

Marc
  3. John Belcher A Fixture

New_Zealand
    Hello Anders, Beautiful piece of sculpting.(y)

Regards,John
  4. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Hi Anders,

Beautiful piece, as usual!

I've a question though, the right leg seems skinnier than the left one, mabe is just the photo.

Great work.

Giovanni
  5. Nick Majerus Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hi Anders,

Nice work on the sculpt. Who did the color painting? I presume the Grandfather was the Company or Regt. Color Sargent?

Nick
  6. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Sweet Anders! Well worth the wait!(y)
  7. Kreston Active Member

United-States
    Excellent work, Anders.

The first picture in the thread is a war-time tintype of my Great Great Grandfather. Underneath it is a painting that Keith Rocco did followed by Anders' sculpt based on the painting.

Duvall carried the regimental colors for the 121st Ohio Volunteer Infantry and fought at Perryville, Chickamauga, Kennesaw Mountain, Bentonville, and then took part in the Grand Review in Washington DC shortly after the end of the war.

Kreston
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys! Was a fun project for sure. I hope Kreston have as much fun painting it as I did sculpting it.

Giovanni,

Thanks! Appreciate the input. Always good to have other eyes upon the sculpt seeing things that I might have missed. Re the legs:

Could be, though you have to take into account the different positions of the legs. The right leg is bent and slightly forward, bringing the trousers closer to the thigh and knee, streching it from those two points. Where as the left leg is not bent and slightly 'behind' the figure causing the trousers to more or less hang straight down, without much 'stretch' and will have a more bulky feel to it. Hope this makes sense.
  9. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool! Well done, and nice flag! (y) flags are a PAIN
  10. gioazz Active Member

Italy
    Hi Andres,

Thanks for your reply, as I said I don't have the figure in front of me, just the pictures, and even if you look the side views, the left leg is wider than the right one, which should be the opposite than viewd from the front as you correctly explained.

Sayng that I think that the deep shadow of the picture are misleading me, maybe.

Didn't mean to be a pain, is just that I used to sculpt a lot back in the days.

Thanks again for your time and keep up with the excellent work.

Ciao

Giovanni
  11. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Excellent sculpting Anders.
  12. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Another great sculpt Anders,how did you do the fringes on the flag?

Cheers David
  13. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yes! How ?!?
  14. Christosjager A Fixture

Greece
  15. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks guys,

The fringe was simply cut into the semi cured putty after the flag was cut out from a sheet of rolled out putty. It is not a perfect way of doing it but it works.
    gordy likes this.
  16. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Anders!
  17. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Looks beautiful, compliments!!!
  18. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Very nice sculpting and good theme...
    Bravo friend.

Alexandros