1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Sgt Bruse 11th Hussars From Mitches Military Models

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Nap, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all on PF ,

Following on from Jimbo's sculpting WIP http://www.planetfigure.com/threads/1-10-bust-sgt-bruse-1854.53476/watch-confirm...................

and my review :...................http://www.planetfigure.com/threads...m-mitches-military-models.55143/watch-confirm

I have started getting some colour on Sgt B .....it has now progressed even further (pics to follow later) , fleshwork now finished , hair done , rank basecoated ....lots of other base colours put on .

A nice subject full of challenges ...and medals (still can't read the writing on those clasps Jimbo!!!)

There will be a lot of yellow lacework ...my question is how does everyone else approach this colour ...base/shadows/highs etc....all thoughts very welcome

Thanks for looking in

Nap

k 062.jpg k 063.jpg
    RFL, Aveleira, pte1643 and 2 others like this.
  2. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Kev,
    Put some eyes in this poor fellow he is scaring me:rolleyes:.
    Looking very good Mate, nice clean blocking in.
    For the rope work on his chest I would start with the darkest first. Then I would paint the mid colour in full lines of paint. If you think you could add another level of highlight do so but avoid areas of shadow. Finally for the absolute highlight I would use tiny points of paint to give the effect of woven material but only where there is no shadow at all.
    You know I like your work Kev and this is no exception.
    Good stuff, press on.
    Keith
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

Thanks mate .....he has pupils !!!!!!...now !!!!!!!..off to Jimbo's hope to paint ...inbetween choccy biccies!!!!!!

Thanks for the comments ref the braiding ....apart from Yellow in very small qtys....what shadow and highlight colours would you or anyone suggest

Thanks for looking

Nap
  4. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Kev,
    Using my oils I would go from yellow ochre with a touch of cadmium yellow (hue) for deepest shadows. Cadmium yellow (hue) for the next level. These two levels would be for all of the braiding. Next cadmium yellow (hue) with an equal measure of either cadmium yellow pail (hue) or chromium yellow.for the general highlights. Lastly add zinc white to the cadmium yellow pail (hue) or chromium yellow for the tiny points of extreme highlight.
    I am sure that there are many other ways and colour mixes Mate, this is mine and I hope it is of some use to you.
    Send us over a choccy biccie Mate, the biscuits here are not up to much.
    Enjoy your day.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    See!..I told you Kev!...Oils rule!...Choccy biscuits Ha!..You'll be lucky!;)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Wings5797 likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Here are a couple of pics how it looks at the moment ...lots to do still ..the cap is still base coated with some washes on the band ..lacework just based in yellow Ochre , with the rank based in GW Yellow ..lots of shados and highs to put on ...actually looks a lot beter in real life ...honest!!!!

Will probably revisit the hair again (oh happy memories of having some!!!)

Keith ,

Thanks for the colour mixes ...now in my little black book incase I go over to the darkside ;) ....biccys rather nice as was the lardy cake we had as well ...low calorie of course!!!!

Jimbo ,

How are you going to explain the fact that your cute grandchildren will find the biccy jar empty ...and don't mention my name !!!

Will post more progress shots as I can

Thanks for looking in

Nap

k 056.jpg k 058.jpg
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France

He is really taking shape Kev.
    I like what you have achieved here. The braiding is looking good and I am eager to see what you do with that beautiful hat band.

Now!!! as for low calorie lardy cake and nicking the biccies from the wee ones....no wonder your hair left you;).
    Good work Kev.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Just a quick update on this one before I vanish off to the bench to do more ...the chest lacing is now complete except buttons of course , sleeve lacing complete , barrel sash started , rank to do , to do ....all suggestionson this welcomed!!!!...then its the cap ..a revisit to check everything , base up amd away we go with the next one ...................

Cross belt do ....all suggestions on this welcomed with open arms!!!!...

Oh and ofcourse ...the medals;)

Don't we just love our hobby folks (y)

All comments welcome of course

Thanks for looking in

Nap

hussar.jpg
    Geoff Charman and elanlane13 like this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Kev, he's coming on well, your doing him proud mate.......Lardy cake!..What Lardy cake?..Don't tell the missus!;) Biccy tin now all re-supplied (y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Keith ,

Braid now all done , under the collar was a little awkward due to the bushy beard !!!!

Barrel sash all done

Rank and cap now next in line for the 6" brush !!!!

Then its the belt ...going to do this a little worn

Then the buttons ...metallics for these !!!

Will revisit the hair and blues again I think ...looking at shadows on the arm where it meets the chest ...nothing too much though

Wish I didn't have to go to work!!!!!...roll on 4 pm

Ref the biccys ....Jimbo insisted ..it would have been not very "matey" to refuse ...as for the hair ..its a sign of virility ...apparently:eek:

Jimbo ,

"I know nothing" as Manuel off Fawlty Towers used to say ...good to hear the biccy bin is all resupplied mate
    [IMG]
    Thanks for looking in

Nap
  11. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    My pleasure mate(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  12. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys ,

Just a update on this little cracker of a bust ....the cap and the rank is now all completed some lovely details from Jimbo which have come out well ...I will post pics when I am a little nearer the house ...and the brushes ...the South West Figure Modellers have a "Paint & Putty" day tommorow so I hope to be able to finish this one after doing the belt and the buttons then the medals.............

Then base up....and onto the next one .....

Mad Mitch from MMM again and hey !! he has medals !!!!

Nap
  13. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to all ,

Managed now to get some pics done , worked on the cap , and crossbelt and the beard ...working on the medals now then the buttons and then base up.

Thanks for looking in

Nap

k 055.jpg k 056.jpg k 057.jpg k 058.jpg
  14. Tarracus A Fixture

Looks pretty good, it's becoming a very vivid piece..but what is that little fellow on his right side? an astronaut ape?
  15. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks well Kev.
    Carl.(y)
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,

Thanks for the comments , it looks better in real life ...an enjoyable piece .

Forgot about the little fella on the right he is a little monkey ..a bit of company when I am painting !!!..well actually he came with a bust from a company called Forged Monkey (Brock ...a fantasy piece ..in the GA!!!)

Nap
  17. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Good progress Kev,
    The braiding and cap band are looking excelent.
    Looking forward to your next installment mate.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Keith ,

Thanks for the comments , must admit I am pleased with the braiding and cap ...get yourself one of these and see how yours comes along .........I await with interest and anticipation!!!!!

Finished being dragged screaming round Waitrose getting things incase the world ends this Easter !!!!!!...so now off to paint the medals and buttons..then a final check up and base up!!

Thanks for the interest

Nap
    Wings5797 likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Wings5797 likes this.