1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Sgt Anthony Booth, VC, 80th Foot, 1879

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by valiant, Dec 23, 2014.

1. Helm A Fixture

England
    Interesting man and conversion Steve
    Steve
  2. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Steve and Steve! I hope to get cracking over the Christmas break - that's the plan, at least!!

(y)
  3. red tom Active Member

United-Kingdom
    nice conversion Steve, I will no doubt get to see this at Crewe. All the best for 2015
  4. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Tom - hopefully might be done for then!

See you there!

(y)
  5. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Nice bit of conversation work there Steve and great to see a Staffordshire hero put forward. We are both Staffordshire lads ourselves and its always nice to see the colours flying.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  6. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Jazz - although not regarded as one of the "glamorous" regiments, the North and South Staffs were present in all the major conflicts throughout history. I like to have a local theme!!
    (y)
  7. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys,

I have finally got around to getting the paint on this one. Obviously, a long way still to go, but this is after one sitting, last night. Painted in acrylics, just the major parts blocked in with a basic shading applied, I think it needs a little more contrast yet on the flesh areas.

thanks for looking,

Steve(y)

Attached Files:

arj, Scotty, Wings5797 and 2 others like this.
  8. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Looks great in paint Steve.
  9. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great conversion. Looking forward to seeing the painting develop.
    Andrew
  10. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys - still learning with the acrylics, but it's coming on OK. Just need more practice!

(y)
    Wings5797 likes this.
  11. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    HI folks,

some more progress pics on my Sgt Booth conversion, so far. Almost there, I still need to tidy up lines here and there, rifle/hands still not permanently attached, I will pin these to make them more secure. Rifle sling added with Duro, fusewire attachments.
    I have increased contrast on flesh areas and reduced it on the tunic, slightly. All painting done in acrylics.

I am also working on another version of this bust to convert to Pte Samuel Wassall VC, also 80th Foot, the other VC winner from this regiment in the Zulu war. I will post some pics when it doesn't resemble a bundle of chopped resin and filler!!

thanks for looking in,

(y)

Attached Files:

malc, baronband, arj and 3 others like this.
  12. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Steve,
    You have done a great job so far and he is progressing very well, excellent conversion.
    cheers
    Richie
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Superb conversion, excellent painting.

Bob
  14. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks chaps! I was desperately hoping to have this one finished for Crewe, but I still have the base to finish. I bought some miniature replica VCs to attach to the plinth, but the wood still need another couple of coats of varnish until I'm entirely happy with it. Also, Ive just noticed that I need to add a little more contrast to the hands, to match the tones on the face, so...... itll be ready for WMMS in a couple of week's time!

thanks again for the support,

Steve(y)
  15. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    I love the way you've handled this Steve,I love the way you sculpted the hair and facial hair,it's a very nice job my friend
  16. valiant A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks, Brian, praise indeed from the master converter!!

(y)