1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique SGF Soldiers Roman Praetorian Guardsman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ineluki, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    So, this is my first entry in vBench.
    Encouraged by your kind comments I decided to present one more of my works - Roman Praetorian Guardsman from SGF's range.
    Figure has a strange pose, but maybe for this reason I find it interesting.
    I'm not quite happy with the result, but as I said, I just like this model.
    Comments and criticisim would be appreciated :)

Edit:Sorry, but I had some problems with the attachments (my incredible computer skills :/), and you probably couldn't see the photos. I hope this time everything's going to be ok.

Attached Files:

Hardy likes this.
  2. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Wow that shield looks awesome. Nice start to your Vbench.
  3. PeterR. Member

Germany
    Well done!! I like the flesh tone.

Best regards

Peter
  4. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Nice one Simon, great shield and a great overall effect, thanks for posting, RobH.:cool:
  5. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Very nice Simon. You say this is your first VBench posting but obviously this is not your fist figure(y)

I realy like the flesh tones and the face is superbe. The shield is aslo very nice. Since you asked for critiques, I'd have to say the only weaker point,not by much is the red of the tunic. It comes across as a little flat compared to the rest of the figure. You may want to place soem blues or greens in the shadows and/or accentuate the highlights to make it match the rest.

I repeat, very nice work.(y)

Cheers.
  6. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work. I really like it.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Excellent work. You liked the figure for his pose, i dislike the figure for his pose.
    But it has to be said: you have done some awesome job on the figure.
    That shield is something special to....excellent.

Marc
  8. roadking Active Member

United-States
    You did a really nice job on this figure. I never liked the pose either though I've always felt that the pose lends itself to aome more elaborate groundwork to help explain the dramatic stance. The flesh is fantastic and I love the mosaic under his feet.
  9. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Thank for all the comments

I never said it was ;)

I'd been panting 28 mm fantasy miniatures for more than 10 years. Now for about 18 months (2 years maybe?) I paint only historical miniatures. To be honest, I don't see a way back to painting fantasy models.

Jehan, you are probably right about the tunic. I use greens for shading red colours, but I have a little problem with contrasts - I don't like strong ones, as I find it unnatural. Unfortunately,they look great on minis, while lesser contrasts tend to look flat:confused:
    Actually I'm looking for a way of painting, which satisfy both factors - realism and, ekhm, "artistic" effect.
  10. unknown01 New Member

Japan
    Great work!
    The fresh tone is wonderful.
    The design of the shield is also gorgeous.
    I liked it very much.
    I congratulate completion.

Mitsutaka
  11. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    I can see what you mean and the more I look at the figure the less of a problem I find with the tunic. You are right in the fact that we have to paint to please ourselves first. The other factor is that photos rarely reflect the truth about the real item, some times leassening or over powering one aspect of the figure. In the end we are our most critical judge.

Again I would congradulate you on a great paint job.;)
  12. el cid New Member

Canada
    Simon, Nice job. Makes me want to paint one...I like the tunic, face and shield...
    well done.
  13. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Mitsutaka, Steve - thanks for your comments.
    cheers