1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Sergeant John Rosengrant Re-Do...

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by dancap3286, Jul 1, 2013.

1. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    This is my latest commission work. You may have seen me post this portrait figure of John before as it appeared with him and only a small portion of the turret as released by Warriors Scale Models sometime in the mid to late 90's AFAIK. For those of you who don't know the original piece in which the kit was based on was the whole 1/9th scale turret and figure which I believe John originally intended it to be a one off. A figure collector saw this piece as it was constructed and painted in commercial kit form (John and about a quarter of the top piece of the turret) and he had interest in buying it as is but he asked if I could do it for him just like the original and that would be with a complete 1/9 scale Sherman M4A3 105MM turret. After some thought I agreed and with some help from John Rosengrant himself I was able to get my hands on a 75MM version turret with only some of the parts to complete the turret. I also needed to convert it to a 105MM version so the .50cal MG needed to be repositioned, an extra dome ventilator needed to be added as well as a completely different mantlet and barell. After a few inquiries looking for some help I managed to get some from a friend of mine. So here is the final outcome of this piece in it's very large 1/9 scale glory. Wow what an intense project. Turret and figure are finished in all Vallejo acrylics along with some cool AK Interactive weathering product.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Looks great Dan!
  3. Rompy Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Stunning !
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Great work. Not my cup of tea, but I like it very much
  5. NickM Well-Known Member

Australia
    Brilliant painting, Dan!
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great paintwork.
    Maybe the hairline could be smoother.

Marc
  7. Gerry Active Member

Having had the pleasure of meeting and talking to John at the MFCA show some years back, i must say Dan you have painted his face and features brillantly! very nice painting Indeed!! overall great Job
  8. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

I saw the article written in Military Modelling back in the 90's I have been trying without success to get hold of one, come to that any 200mm Warrior figures. Does anyone know how I could finally obtain one. Also brilliant paint work both on the figure and the Sherman.
  9. naskino Well-Known Member

Italy
    bellissimo:woot:
  10. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    Carl your best bet would probably be e-bay, but be very careful of recasts from China. Also keep in mind that you will not find the figure with the COMPLETE TURRET as a kit. The commercial kit was the figure with just a small portion of the turret. I had to use my extremely wonderful personality and shameless connections to get my hands on this casting of the turret. :p
  11. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    Top notch work! I like everything about it!

Joe
  12. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

Hi dancap3286 yes I remember the feature in MM and that the turret was only quarter size, If I did get my hands on the figure I would probably extend to purchase the Tamiya 1/16 scale Sherman. I am very suspect of buying anything from ebay as I have been told of some bad experiences of friends of mine. Again great paint work.
  13. Carl Edward Sambrook Active Member

Just realised what a howling mistake I just made :O how could a 1/9th scale figure fit onto a 1/16 scale tank, in my defence its been a very long day and still have a couple of hours left at work :)
  14. dancap3286 A Fixture

United-States
    LOL Carl . I was just about to tell you that until I saw your last post. The trick with the recasts seems to be that if the item is from China be very very careful as most from that region are recasts. If it's from China and it is stated in the description "NO BOX" definitely stay away. If you get a private seller in the states, UK, anywhere in Europe with a good rating, generally you'll be ok. Good luck as the commercial release is very nice as well. It's just OOP for a long while now.
  15. John van Pelt Well-Known Member

Netherlands
  16. sarouman A Fixture

Greece
    Realy very suberb work amazing paint photo all...

Alexandros
  17. Blackship Active Member

Greece
    Great work !
  18. fabrizio1969 A Fixture

Italy
    fantastic work
  19. Captain Lol A Fixture

Belgium
    Great work ! .
  20. Sturm Grenadier Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello Dan, Great workmanship and painting of the turret and figure. I remember the Warriors version, should have bought it when I had the chance. I really like these tank commander figures, or half figures, with the partial turrets. I'm glad to see them making a comeback with the Young, and Jeff Shui versions. I wish somebody would release some partial turrets in 1/16th, or larger, instead of just the cupola. Alot of figures, and even busts, could be used. Beautiful work Dan on this 105 and TC. Regards, SG:happy: