1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Sergeant Bernard McCabe Sobroam 1846

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    I have not posted any WIP on here for quite some time so thought it was about time to get my backside into gear and make the effort.

For those who know me, yes once again I'm adding legs to busts, this time it's Stormtroopers superb Sgt B.McCabe bust /half figure...why do I do it?..well some half figures /bust just scream out to me to add the legs and this kit is a prime example of " I'm adding legs to this one" it's probably the dramatic pose that tips the scales for me to give it a go and Carl Reid's superb rendition of the character.

I made a twisted copper wire frame for each leg out of old household stripped electrical wire, bent them roughly into shape and fixed the far ends into two drill holes on the underside of the torso and two drill holes in the wooden base, the base is covered in masking tape to protect it as this will be the base for the finished figure.

Next step is to start building the nude legs and lower tors, for this I've used milliput as it's cheap and it carves off easily once cured if I have added too much

I slowly build up a very rough nude shape in two or three stages until I am happy with the basic shape, it doesn't have to be perfect as the legs are going to be covered by trousers....I allow the milliput to harden in between layers, I never try to put too much on at one time, if I want to speed up the cure time then I place the whole thing in my home made heat box for about an hour then I can add the next layer and so on.

I then start to add Magi sculpt as a "clothes" layer, I have added the boots first.

I hope the photos show where I have got to so far, next stage will be the trousers I'll hopefully show this in the next post. so stay tuned if your interested in how I fumble my way around sculpting.

Cheers
    Jim(y)

Thanks for sorting photos Kev(y)

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    anstontyke, Grod, Scotty and 9 others like this.
  2. Landrotten Highlander Well-Known Member

Is it me, or are his knees a bit low? The again, not every person is a David (as in Michelangelo) so why should any fiure be.
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi
    Yes I think the knees probably are a bit low, it might be camera angle as I am totally crap at taking a decent photo, I'll adjust the knees if need be on my next session with him, a simple "kneecapping" is what he needs!:woot:
    Thanks for your constructive comment much appreciated
    Cheers
    Jim
    Landrotten Highlander likes this.
  4. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    I'm looking forward to seeing this one progress Jim. Good to see you pushing putty.
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Rob much appreciated,
    Early days with this one so will try & make the effort to post up with progress
  6. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Missed you at Bugle call Jim but this is looking great, looking forward to more.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Bob,
    Yes mate I was laid up in hospital following another Op on my battered old back, unlucky timing!:facepalm:
    Viking Bob likes this.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi El Jimbo

Honestly I leave you alone and what happens ........thats right you eat my sandwiches and biscuits.......

And what's this ...legs .......nice bust to choose to work on ...when its PAINTED ( I know you have brushes ...lol) going to be really special .

Thought you might have put him with his left knee bent like picture

Missed you at BC ...had to buy my own coffee ...!! ...hopefully the nurses have recovered after seeing you in a operating to be on the wrong way ....LOL LOL

Happy benchtime oh follically challenged bloke

Following

Nap

image.jpeg
    Jimbo likes this.
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Feeble excuse ...lol

Did the surgeon manage to open your wallet up???

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  10. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev,
    Hoping to push on with this figure now and make some good progress, only trouble is I keep getting held up as I have a mountain of biscuits to get through on my own now you're down in deepest darkest Somerset!....Flipping Wurzel wannabee!
    Cheers
    Jim(y)
    P.s How was I to know the hospital gown was supposed to tie up at the back???
    Nap likes this.
  11. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Great to see your work again jim,I thought the bust was great,but with legs it will be great mate
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Brian, much appreciated, early days yet, still got a long way to go with it(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
  13. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great to see a pair of legs!

Mike
    Jimbo likes this.
  14. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Mike (y)
  15. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice work so far Jim.
    Good to see you back in the saddle.
    Gordon
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Gordon, much appreciated mate(y)
    Grod likes this.
  17. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    A bit of progress made on this project today: Knee caps were slightly raised and left leg completed "clothed" in magic sculpt over the rough milliput nude, this will now be left to completely cure as I guarantee if I try to continue with the right leg now I will manage to smudge the soft magic sculpt on the left leg, hoping to crack on with the right leg tomorrow.

Cheers
    Jim

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Nap and Landrotten Highlander like this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbob

Nice bit of progress there atm the upper waist looks a little too long perhaps ?

I suppose whilst waiting for the MS to go off you ate all my biscuits !!

Following the progress on this

Nap
  19. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks for sorting the photos Kev, I think the waist is ok in the flesh so to speak, by the time his sash is extended a little and the ends added plus all his other kit, side bag, water bottle, sword etc that needs to go on, also he's in an upright stretching sort of pose, I think it's ok.
    Cheers
    Jim
    p.s. not a biscuit left in the house:whistle:
    Nap likes this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Right leg now all done, waiting for it to cure so I can clean it all up ready to start adding sash ends, side bag, sword/bayonet & water bottle for their fit & then it'll be on to priming coat
    Cheers
    Jim(y)

P1070890.JPG P1070888.JPG P1070889.JPG