1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sepoy Khuda Dad Khan

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, May 3, 2005.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    My latest is a 120mm figure of Sepoy (Urdu for "private") Khuda Dad Khan. The pose comes from a picture of him painted by Mike Chappell in Osprey Elite 75, "The Indian Army 1914-1947". In the picture he is shown in typical dun field gear cradling a Vickers MG crosswise in his arms. I would like to have shown the picture, but I'd also like to avoid copyright infringement. I hope some of you have it so you can compare it to my figure.
    [IMG]
    Sepoy Khan was a member of the 129th Duke of Connaught's Own Baluchis and particularly a machine gun section. Here's the Citation to his Victoria Cross:
    "On 31 October 1914, at Hollebeke in Belgium, the British officer in charge of the detachment having been wounded and the other gun put out of action by a shell, Sepoy Khuda Dad, though himself wounded, remained at his gun until all the other men of the gun detachment had been killed." (London Gazette, 7 December 1914)
    [IMG]
    He was presumed dead by the Germans and eventually was able to drag himself back to his unit.
    [IMG]
    Sepoy Khan survived the war and continued to serve in the Indian Army rising to the rank of Subedar (which I believe is warrant officer) and eventually retiring.
    [IMG]
    On the figure, I've just started broadening his cheeks and cheekbones and enlarging the bridge of the nose and making a slight hook in it. Then I'll add his moustache and hair, a couple loose ends of the Pagri (turban), etc. I need to add arms obviously. Those are already wired together with hands, etc., but I'm keeping them separate until I finish the shirt pockets, head, etc. The Vickers MG is part of a Firing Line kit and is partly assembled also - minus base, etc.

The figure will have an ammo bandoleer with the unusual Indian army pouch covers, canteen, rucksack, small sack and one or two other items of field gear.
    I need to make shoulder epaulette insignia saying 129th BALUCHIS. Can someone suggest how I should go about this?

Comments and critique welcomed!

all the best,
    Dan
  2. m@rp Active Member

Belgium
    Hi Dan,
    As I can see you sculpt also indian subject of WW1.
    Interesting subject. Your figure is very good.
    Keep up the good work.
    Pascal
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    He is looking good Dan and taking shape. Look forward to your next stage.
  4. Jason W. Active Member

United-States
    Wow! A 120mm!?! Looking good so far Dan. Can't wait to see more.

Jason
  5. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Hey Dan , coming along beautifully.Keep up the good work

Stephen Mallia
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks all. His arms are now attached, but I think I'm going to finish the facial changes first. I'm very concerned about getting those right.

Any suggestions about how to do the "129th Baluchis" epaulette insignia? That's got me stumped.

all the best,
    Dan
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, That's a neat subject, he's coming along well. As for the insignia, I find if you can't get it exactly right just "suggest" the details. If you were to look at a real man standing away from you that was that size could you read his insignia? Keep it up.~Gary
  8. nagashino New Member

Hello Dan

This looks very good. Indian Army subjects are a bit thin on the ground and as it's a topic I'm interested in, I will be following this with interest.

Your question regarding making insignia. A method used very sucessfully by a good friend of mine, John Regan may be of use to you. Basically, John uses fine talc, mixed with Humbrol white enamel to form a thick paste. He then "paints" the design onto a flat surface (he uses card) with this, using a fine pointed cocktail stick or similar, building it up to the required design. The paste may need remixing several times during a session and when it dries, it is very hard, so it can be shaved off the base card and applied as required. I've seen 70mm British cap badges and medals done with this technique, and it is very effective. I'm sure John would be pleased to know if it works for you.

Best regards

Phil
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Phil - That sounds just wierd enough to work! Thanks!! Really, you could use any color enamel, I suppose. Glad you like the figure. I plan to finish modifying the face next with Duro/Magicsculpt. That constitutes a real challenge for me
  10. Alex Lopez Well-Known Member

Mexico
    Hey Dan! this Khuda is going to take form, Good work my friend!!!

Alex.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Installment # 2, folks. Note that the tunic sleeves have not been completed. The MagicSculpt you see on the figure arms is just extra stuff I didn't want to throw out. Obviously I used Kneadatite on pockets, the center strip of fabric on the tunic, buttons, etc., and a small bag. The changes to the face were done in MagicSculpt - wider cheeks and cheekbones, wider chin with a prominent dimple, eyebrows, moustache, and hair protruding from both sides of the turban.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Critique? Comments?

all the best,
    Dan
  12. nagashino New Member

Looking good Dan. I like the work on the turban and face. I don't have the Osprey title you are using for reference, but it's now on my "get" list!

Cheers

Phil
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Phil - I had no idea you spoke Latin. I speak a little Russian.

Пожалуйста не покрасьте ту свинью голубо!

Не снимите меня, котор я знаю много военнаяа тайна!

Thanks for the compliments on the figure. This is turning out to be my most enjoyable figure. Every one of them I learn a little more! How do you like that nose? I think I gave him a magnificent beak. [Of course, he actually did have a magnificent beak.]

all the best,
    Dan
  14. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Dan,my friend,EXCELLENT WORK on the conversion so far (y) (y) !! You've certainly managed to capture the "Indian" look to a tee! Well done and I'll be looking forward to the next step! Cheers!
    Kenneth :)
  15. LCoote New Member

Australia
    The face looks very nice Dan, and it looks like you've got just the right amount of bulk to the turban. I'd like to see the pics you're working from but I don't have that Osprey.
    Just one thing, the arms are a bit too wide just below the shoulder, maybe you've used resin arms and it's where the resin stops at the top of the arm that's causing the problem, I'd carve some of that away so the arm comes in toward the shoulder. Look forward to seeing more progress.
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Leigh - Thanks for the tip! I hadn't noticed that, but you're right. I'll fix that before I post the next group of photos.

all the best,
    Dan
  17. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    It's coming along nicely Dan.I particularly like the face

Stephen Mallia
  18. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Khudadad Khan is almost complete. I need to add some buckles, correct a mistake in one shoulder, add epaulettes and insignia, one more button and generally sand and clean-up. Looking at one of the photos I noticed that one side of the chin is sticking out slightly more than the other, so I sanded it while the photos were loading. The dimple in the chin looks like it is off center in one of the photos but it isn't, I checked.
    [IMG]
    Funny, isn't it? What looks like it should be complicated and difficult to work out - the turban, reshaping his face, etc., weren't that bad. However, the 1903 leather ammunition bandoleer he's wearing across his chest should have been relatively simple to construct, and wasn't for whatever reason. I spent hours and hours on the thing and it still isn't totally right. I completely re-did it 7 times! I'm sure everybody has had one of 'em, right?
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Opinions, folks??

All the best, Dan
  19. PHIL WALDEN Member

Morning Dan,, mate thats a great subject, pehaps you may be starting a new era of interest,..I know its got my jucies running...be proud of what you have done to this point, look forward to seeing a little colour on him..
    good stuff Phil..
  20. nagashino New Member

Morning Dan

He's coming together very well. I managed to get the Osprey and he's certainly true to the illustration, including the bandy legs!

Nice work. Looking forward to seeing him in paint.

Regards

Phil