1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Semi-Translucent Ice Weapon Tutotial

Discussion in 'Acrylics' started by SimonMoon, Jan 18, 2016.

1. SimonMoon Active Member

Germany
    This is just a little step by step to show you how to paint semi-translucent ice weapons.

Colors you will need for this:
    -Ice Blue
    (depending on the desired depth of color, you can also use a darker or lighter blue)
    -Purple Wash(Diluted)
    -Agrax Earthshade
    -White
    -Gloss Varnish (optional)
    [IMG]

Step1

Cover the all Ice parts with your Blue.
    (in this case a mix of Scalecolor's "Sky Blue" & "Mediterranean Blue")
    [IMG]

Step2

Wash all Ice parts with the diluted purple wash (try to keep some purple in the recesses and under the "bumps")
    If needed paint specifically some more in spots you want deeper shadows.
    [IMG]

Step3

Use a lighter blue (or your blue mixed with a bit white) to lay it on the tops of the "bumps" and all raised areas were the light will hit (also the thinnest and most outstanding parts)
    (in this case i used a mix of Scalecolor's "Sky Blue" & VGC "Glacier Blue")
    Sorry i know it's hard to see a difference but trust me there is a lighter blue on
    [IMG]

Step4

Time to let the handle show though. for this we simply paint the handle on with GW's "Agrax Earthshade".
    This don't have to be very precice(don't forget that frozen water will break the light so don't paint it simple straight!)
    If you like you can now also cover it with an layer of gloss varnish.
    [IMG]

Step5

Simple as it is all the magic behind this comes from of a technique that I use very very rarely..Drybrushing!
    That "sandy" uneven look is perfect for this!
    [IMG]

Example1

For this sword i started with a lighter blue and only put the purple wash on places were i want to have a color changing shadow.
    [IMG]

Example2

This one has been covered with gloss varnish between step4 & step5 but the gloss effect is barely to see.
    [IMG]
    kenshin393 likes this.