1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Self sculpted semi-round Indian flat

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Ulrich, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    After seeing here the self-made cowgirl flat I thougt "Why not, try it". In the book "The art of Antoine Tzapoff" I found many, many good pictures. So I try to make the indian-girl. I thought "Ok, not much clothes and the hair will be no problem"

What I have not seen was the decoration she is wearing. "Hundreds of Pearls" I thought, but with a help from a friend I found a solution.

It is not a 100 % copy but it was my first try.

So I think some cleanings are to do and improvements, but then I can start working on the second flat (last photo)

What do you think???

Ulrich

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Great first attempt Ulrich. I would say perhaps the upper lip should be turned down at the corners a bit.... but I haven't tried it so feel free to ignore that :D

Roger.
  3. TWOMOONS Active Member

United-States
    Nice job, very good likeness.; a beauty for sure.
    ..one side of the mouth is up while the other not so much...it kind of looks like a smirk, but it looks fine like that , too.
    Glad to see you are in the NW coast area...truly fascinating. Possibilities are endless...the next one: is it a Tlingit warrior with partial armor on?
    I'm curious of your reference material...definitely something I've seen before but can't place...maybe in National Geographic...and artist named Herbert Norris?
    Will follow with interest...
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you very much, Roger and Phil.

I work with magnifiers, but see some "problems" first after I had made the picture and see the photo on my monitor. So some little things are to change

@ Phil. My source is the book "The Art of Antoine Tzapoff". In that book I found some tribes I never have heard before. You are right, the second is a Tlingit warrior with a wooden suit of Armour. The artist declares the woman as a member of the Kitsai wearing a Osage blanket

So as you mentioned. Many great possibilities

Ulrich
  5. Glen Active Member

United-States
    It looks great Ulrich! I'm glad the Cowgirl provided some inspiration (I'm assuming you're referring to mine). I agree about the mouth. Going into Mona Lisa territory there. :) I also noticed that one eye is smaller and higher than the other. Even though this replicates the source image, it's still a bit odd looking. It took me a minute to notice it after I enlarged the sculpt image.

How thick is the sculpt? I'm trying to keep mine at near original flat thicknesses and not go into a demi-round style. Are you going to cast this or paint it as is?

I'm looking forward to the next one.

Cheers,

Glen
  6. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    @ Glen. Yes it was your Cowgirl. And you and Phil are right. I had to change the mouth and the eyes. But I will make tomorrow a great copy of my picture taken from the flat and so I can see better, were the problems are.

It is more a semi-round flat. Like the Eisenbach ones. And I will make it only for myself.

Thanks again

Ulrich
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work Ulrich.
    I'm eager to see how you made this semiround.

Marc
  8. Stephan Well-Known Member

Germany
    in my opinion the eyes are a littlebit to big.
    But neverless a very good attempt.
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Ulrich - You can be justifiably proud of the outcome! Very well done! I can understand your interest in the subject - there really is something Mona-lisa- - ish about her. :)

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you very much.

I have made a "big" photo print and mark every part which had to be "redone". So please wait and see

Ulrich
  11. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Hi Ulrich, like them although flats aren't my thing. Very nice indeed.:)
  12. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Ulrich,
    Very nicely done.
    Cheers
    John
  13. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Thank you very much. I think I can show some new photos next weekend. I have change some things and think it looks better now

Ulrich
  14. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Great work Ulrich, especially for a first one!
    Keep them coming.

cheers,
    Marcel.
  15. Centaur Member

Germany
    Thank you very much. I think I can show some new photos next weekend. I have change some things and think it looks better now

Ulrich
    Yes Ulrich do it , its can go better always, sometimes we see always during and behind to grow with the sculpt.
    Nice idea. Do more please in this great line.
    Thanks for showing.
    Ulrich
  16. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Any updates Ulrich?

Cheres,

Glen
  17. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    Glen. I had to do some works at our house before "winter" starts. But I will do today the last changes and think can make some photos wednesday.,

So you must wait a little bit

Ulrich
  18. Glen Active Member

United-States
    OK. I was afraid the thread might be forgotten! :( I'll probably have some questions later.

Cheers,

Glen
  19. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    And here a little update. I will talk next Saturday with a friend about the figure, but I think I will leave everything and will try to make it better the next time.

I know that the eyes are different, but I think it will be my touch for this figure

Ulrich

Attached Files:

• 02.jpg
      02.jpg
      File size:
      60.8 KB
      Views:
    Centaur likes this.
  20. Glen Active Member

United-States
    Well done Ulrich! It seems the figure's left eye and the mouth have been altered or is this an illusion on my part?

Some questions:

Did you sculpt this a single piece or was it built up in layers like my cowgirl?

How big is it - scale and actual dimensions?

Do you have any special hints or tips for those of us trying to sculpt flats?

I ask because I'm getting ready to start a bust of my own, but I'm not sure how to proceed. I was thinking of doing what I did with the cowgirl - a single 1mm layer, trimmed to shape, then carving down and building up in series of short sculpting sessions. I'm not comfortable working on everything all at once, because I tend to damage sculpted, but still soft, areas of the figure when I work on other areas.

Again, great effort! Are you going to paint it?

Cheers,

Glen