1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Seil 54mm Viking SH54024

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Vikingz, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Since my other project is waiting for primer to dry and also waiting on a base, I started to work on this one. As said when I did the review for this figure I can picture this figure standing alone in front/on a waterfall. I plan on building up a 6"/7" rock wall with the figure standing on a ledge w/ water flowing/falling around it. Just started using popsicle sticks for the frame work for the wall and will AB in the rocks.

Attached Files:

2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looks good so far David. I just got this figure yesterday and it is a real beauty. Look forward to seeing yours come to life.
  3. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Looks like a really nice figure, looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    David, Maybe you could do a bit of an sbs on the construction of the waterfall.`Gary
  5. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Gary, Roc, Guy

Thanks for your interest, I'll gladly do a SBS of the waterfall, just keep in in mind this is a side project from my new main one, kinda like filler space, so progress may be slow.
    Here is were the project is at the end of the night. The waterfall is comprised of various wooden shapes with a holes drilled through them. I chose this route as I could move the shapes in all sorts of directions and couldn't think of a better one. The shapes all slide over two aluminum rods I've drilled through the base, height is yet to be finalized.

Attached Files:

6. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Here are some of the misc shapes, once everything is finalized I will glue layer by layer together. Every half inch or so one of the braces with two holes is inserted to keep everything straight and level.

Attached Files:

7. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Here is a closer pic.

Attached Files:

8. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work David . I will alsobe soon making a base for this figure. Iwill recreate a top of a highly inclined hill side . its interesting to see different thoughts on the same figure !!!! I ll be soon post mine also .

One think only . as i see the setup there is pretty likely that the Viking will be affected by the water , i mean getting wet . Is that inyour intentions ?
  9. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Costas

Here is a pic from the side, when all said and done/glued down the figure will be a little further out also. I plan on having the water cascade behind the figure while to the sides the water will fall. So to answer the question the figure will have wet feet, but that won't explain how the figure got to the spot without getting wet.

Attached Files:

10. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Here is a pic of the ledge, its just a misc base I had left over. Its reinforced/glued to popsicle sticks. I only hope this will help in the droop factor, also the AB will help reinforce the ledge.

Attached Files:

11. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    David thanks for the explanation. The seeting you havedone is nice ,and tomy opinion there is no need toexplain how he reched theresince inminiatures we re capturing the moment and not the full story behind it ( at least in this case !) . I would probably do something similiar since its effective and will add a lot tothe scene . Just that some people would think why he would stand pretty close to the waterfall. butthats a detail... youre doing a nice job and i ll be looking forward your rpogress as when my hand cures almost fully ( thats next week)) this is the first thing i ll do the Viking
  12. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Costas

Its the same question as to why people climb rocks, base jump etc..etc..etc.. cause their there as some would say. My thought process behind the pose is just as he has reached his spot, this ledge in the middle of nowhere he is yelling with joy. Kinda like someone reaching the summit of a rock climb. Thanks for the discussion as very few share my interest.
  13. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    David as you mayhave seen i am totally obsessedwith scenery and bases , so its a pleasure tome to share your project. i d also add to help you that due to strong water effect the rocks around should be trimmed and rounded a lot almost polished. So as i told you i woyuld be looking this one ! As for the pose and stage and everything , i fully understand you as i have done quite some yelling in similiar stands to break out the pressure sometimes !!!! So keep on with it my friend
  14. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Costas

Here's a pic of the idea in my head and the amount of water cascading by the feet. The idea is to have the main flows of water to each side of the figure.

Attached Files:

15. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Yeap ! Thats nice and will work David. Waiting to see your rendering on theidea !!!
  16. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Well after about another 3yrs hiatus and staring at this project on my bench for the same amount of time. I'm happy to report I have the bug/itch again....So here is where I'm at, still not sure if I want to go higher or cap off the top at this point???

<

Attached Files:

• 17.jpg
      17.jpg
      File size:
      278.1 KB
      Views:
    • 14.jpg
      14.jpg
      File size:
      278.5 KB
      Views:
  17. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Big milestone as the base is finally to a point I'm content with. Still debating on the weather frame, as to having the water in a flowing state vs a frozen one. Possibly could do a combination of both..."The Melting Stage".

Attached Files:

18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    This is a long project. It is worth waiting to see it develop.
    So far i really like what you have done. I also hope that you gonna finish it this year beause i really like to see this SBS coming to a end. Just because i want to make such thing and didn't know how to start and where to end.

Marc
  19. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Meg

Welcome to the SBS class then....I don't recall mentioning these things so Ill include them now. During the build up for the waterfall I used the wood and "packing peanuts", for two reasons or even three to four...It saved on weight, which meant you used less materials, therefore less work(drilling holes cutting wood pieces), and I was/still am cheap, as AB putty and Aves are both rather pricey.....less putty.

I have a few odd rocks handy to add texture as I lay down the putty. It was also broken down to about four sessions. You notice the various colored putties grey, tan, and blue, it helped to tell which was a new stage as to what needs more attention.
  20. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Here is were the figure is at with base coats applied. For whatever reasons I seem to be doing this figure backwards as from the outside in and toe to head??.

Attached Files: