1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Seil 54mm Viking SH54024

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Vikingz, Feb 19, 2006.

1. Vikingz Member

United-States
    I Don't know if I'm qualified to give a review, but here goes my 1st. For starters the kit arrived today from Korea, not to bad since the kit was ordered/paypal on the 4th, package didn't leave Korea till the 13th though. 1st impressions was that the kit was well packaged and comes in similar fashion as the Young Miniature Viking. A Sturdy black box w/two foam pads sandwiching the all white metal pieces.
    For those of you that have followed the sculpting and painting of this figure can see why its very hard for me to say/find anything bad about this figure. One thing off the top is that maybe in packing this figure they should place the base under the bottom foam piece and not in with/next to the rest of the pieces as it moved alot in shipping.

Attached Files:

2. Vikingz Member

United-States
    The 1st thing I said when I saw the box art pic was I wish(be neat if) they would do a little booklet with the step by step painting with all the pics posted of this figure from this site. To my surprise there wasn't a booklet(can't be too greedy) but a folded sheet with four additional pics of the painted figure.

Attached Files:

3. Vikingz Member

United-States
    The figure is broken down into nine/ten pieces as there is that small little piece in the middle that I can't figure out where it came from, if it broke off something or meant to be there altogether. All pieces are white metal. The small pieces where packaged together in a small bag. As said before the detail on this figure is flawless. Its a larger style 54mm in the style of JJ Models and Phoenix and some Pegaso figures, help for sore eyes.

Attached Files:

4. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Here's where the little nit picky stuff begins, it all lies with issues of casting. I tried to dry fit all the pieces together, but have realized there will be about 5 minor areas to deal with. The 1st piece we will deal with is the bottom torso w/legs. There is a large amount of clean up needed around the right foot peg, as it will not go into the base. On the top of this piece there are two triangular tabs that need to be sanded down as unable to mount flush with top torso. As far as seams on this piece very faint in the shoes unable to see in the leggings and pants but can pick it back up in the tunic, unable to detect in the padding and chain-mail.

Attached Files:

5. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Tabs

Attached Files:

6. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Unable to flush the two torso pieces together.

Attached Files:

7. Vikingz Member

United-States
    One Issue that was sad to see is that the eye holes in the helmet where closed. Tried to poke the exacto thru for quick clean up but its a little thick and I didn't want to disturb the eyebrow detail on the helmet so a little caution will be needed in this area. No seems detected in the helmet.

Attached Files:

8. Vikingz Member

United-States
    The upper torso piece WOW so much detail. From the face to the two necklaces. One thing I never noticed in pics before was the animal head, Just thought it was a fur only. The detail in the chain that holds the fur, all the folds in the fur on the back, little fur placed on the edges of the smooth skin really sets it off beautifully. The only flaw in this piece is the knots/bumps on the top of the head wont allow the helmet to sit flush. Can't tell if its just the bumps or if the helmet itself needs to be bored out. Couldn't tell you where the seams are on this piece.

Attached Files:

9. Vikingz Member

United-States
    One little neat feature is the way the left hand mounts to the shield, has a little knot on the knuckle that matches the hole in the shield along with finger indentations. Detailed wood-grain on back of shield kinda rare in the past to see, while the front is left bare with a lack of ornamentation as for each artist own little interpretation section. Faint seams along left and right arms up the axe handle. Sword very well detailed. The right arm needs a little work to mount flush as you can see a large plug/seam, while the left arm mounts perfectly.

Attached Files:

10. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Thanks for the very informative review.

Xenofon
  11. Vikingz Member

United-States
    So with all the bickering out of the way, lets get down to the truth. On a scale of 1 to 10 this figure is 9 1/2 period. I have 100's of viking figures and none of them in any scale have the amount of detail that went into this figure. There are no parts unsculpted, no flat parts in the back. The only areas where I have seen detail on other figures that was left off this one was finger nails and ornamental detail on the axe. So I now lift my jaw from the floor and remove my drool rag as I put this figure away. To those with any hint of an interest in viking figures this is a must have.
  12. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Excellent review Dave...........yes.....you are qualified. Better review than I do as a matter of fact. I shall have to add this little jem to my want list....at the top.
  13. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, Thanks for the review. It's an exceptional kit which will probably sell well.~Gary
  14. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Excellent kit and a very good review.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  15. dArtagnan A Fixture

Belgium
    Thank You for the great review, David!

I was allready a fan of it when I first saw it bin sculpting on PF,
    but your review has toke me over the edge!
    Now I'm sure what I'm gonna get, so he's defenitly on my whise list!

So, I'm thanking You, David and Guy and all the other guys who does all
    the reviews of those great kits here, I very much appreciate and love it!
    It gives an idea on what your spending your money on.

So thanks guys,

Eddy.
  16. Kyle Member

United-States
    David,

Not only is that an excellent review, Seil should hire you as an international consultant for their line! Wow, excellent. I love this figure, so as it rises on my wish list, I will keep in mind to watch out for in terms of pre-paint prep.

(BTW, I lived in Rancho Cucamonga for a while and my mother-in-law lives in Rancho Bernardo, so I've driven either the 91 or 15 right past your house, probably! I was born and raised in Pasadena area, now in - frigid - MN!)

Thanks,
    Kyle
  17. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    David,

Great revieuw. I hope you wanted to do an SBS from the paiting also.

Marc
  18. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Thanks for all the kind support, I'll do a review of the Ant Miniature when it arrives. One big Duh on my part, as I mention the lack of finger nails, After looking through my own review the figure is wearing gloves hence the muted hand detail. Some mention a SBS painting review of this figure....I'm afraid too.... I can't improve on whats already been posted. I'm so hesitant in starting this figure I'm going to start/work on a 150mm just to practice on some basics. I've never been a fan or had interest in the solo figure display in 54mm of my own, but I can see this figure all by itself standing in front of a waterfall.
  19. ajthomas Member

Australia
    Hi David,

Great review..... I too just got this figure the other day and was blown away by the detail of this piece. Don't want to start until I feel I can really do it justice.

I can tell you what that little piece is that your not sure of - hope you haven't thrown it out. It's the handle of the dagger that is cast with the pouch in front of it. I can see from your picture of the pieces that I can see the pouch and the sheathed dagger blade protruding behind the right hand side of the pouch - but to the left of the pouch the handle is missing...... mystery solved :)

Adam.
  20. Vikingz Member

United-States
    Adam
    Whew, thanks if it wasn't for an explanation, I would have eventually lost track of the piece, as I've haven't payed to much attention to its parent piece either.