1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

see you in Valhalla

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by franck edet, Mar 2, 2017.

1. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Hi gents, this is my first post on Planet Figure :)

here is a little vignette i've just finished, scale is 54mm resin. I think it was a very old production from Jaguar or Verlinden (i didn't had the original box). Painting is done with acrylics from various brands used on a wet palette. The shield is sculpted in milliput, axe and arrows are scratched built.

I'm waiting for your comments in order to improve my skills in figures painting (i come from the Armor world ...)

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]

thanks for watching :)
    all the best
    Franck
  2. Helm A Fixture

England
    It's very good first off, as it's in the brutal honesty bit however I'd work a few more highlights and shadows on the hands etc and they look a little yellow (which may be the light in which case disregard) which would work ok for the dying figure, not so much the other. Also the arrows look a little over scale. These are minor nit picks in what is a very nice job though
    Steve
    clrsgt, anstontyke, Oda and 1 other person like this.
  3. Metal Extremo Well-Known Member

Hi Franck
    First of all, i like your scene. To count a history is not easy, and here is very clear.
    About the painting, there are some things that can be improved for the next.
    The moribound has an excesive yellow at flesh. A more red in the mix was a solution. Clothes, leathers and metals have a good work. The shoes an trousers are very clean. Dirty at shoes and the lower part of trousers is easy to do without destroy the previous work you did and give a plus to the figure. And two arrows inside without blood? This can't be. You must put blood there, man.
    The friend assisting him at the last moments of life don't know if has the same colour of flesh or not. Don't watch at pics. The blue admits more light, and a lot of more shadows. The chainmail is too bright. With weathering and use lost this bright quickly. More darkness, with washes of black, and brown gives more depth, definition and realism. The helmet admits more shadows. Metal in shadow is very dark. The contrast of metal is bigger than clothes, flesh or leathers
  4. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    For a first attempt from painting (Armour, tanks) is very good. I wish my effort at tanks were as good. I agree with what the others have said but its still a lovely little scene. Push the ground work to the edge of the base then you don't end up with the vacant space, if you know what I mean.
    I like it and it's a very well done scene.
    clrsgt, anstontyke and Oda like this.
  5. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    i thank you all very much for your comments, i will try to do some more work on the various areas you've pointed, do you think a kind of reddish glaze would do the trick on the faces ?
    anstontyke likes this.
  6. Helm A Fixture

England
    I'd leave them now mate, could end up a mess, just apply it to your next figure (y)
    Steve
    anstontyke and franck edet like this.
  7. HammerSlammer New Member

I really like this scene it is a very powerful one. I think you have good skills as a painter and others have mentioned a few things from washes to add depth and going to the edges of your base to improve on your models. I would suggest this before you start painting put yourself in the scene.
    Think of the conditions the hard and filthy conditions on garments stained with mud and blood weapons dented dinged shield worn. Arrows into the lungs would cause blood from the mouth to stain the beard.
    I look forward to seeing more figures from you.
    clrsgt, anstontyke and franck edet like this.
  8. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    thank you very much (y)
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. mark126804 Active Member

United-States
    Fantastic work.

Mark
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very nice work franck. welcome to the forum.

anstontyke
  11. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    thank you very much Mark and anstontyke :)
    anstontyke likes this.
  12. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work and I am in agreement with the others have said. A good first effort.
    franck edet and anstontyke like this.