1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Second Lieutenant, Japanese 3rd Cavalry Rgt.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Jul 10, 2005.

1. nagashino New Member

Hey Dan

I've had this bloke in mind for a sculpting exercise ever since the Osprey came out. There are so many good subjects in it, including a really scruffy Russian infantryman.

Don't know why the Russo-Japanese war isn't more popular? So many interesting "firsts" and a lot of different uniforms.

Cheers

Phil
  2. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roy and Phil!

Roy, I agree, it is a great hobby! Over the years, I've built model cars, planes, wooden airplanes, you name it, but this is the best! It combines my interests in period history, uniforms, weapons and equipment and craftsmanship. I'm learning all the time.

Phil, just because I've sculpted him doesn't mean you couldn't take a shot also! I think I know the illustration you're talking. I believe I saw a figure based on it in the photos from the Boston show.

All the best,
    Dan
  3. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    Very nice looking fig. And I did get the hands a million thanks!! Glad the wedding was a big hit and keep the super work up. Regards Brock
  4. Von Bock Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    forgot to ask when can we see it painted. Brock
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Brock! Hope the hands work out for you! And I'm about 40% done with the Lieutenant. I'm going to concentrate on painting Lt. Gen. Skoboleff this weekend and maybe I can get to the Lieutenant next weekend.

All the best,
    Dan
  6. Dani A. New Member

Hello,

I agree the Russo-Japanese War Osprey title has a lot of potential. In fact, I got inspired too...

[IMG]

I showed this figure here, a Siberian Rifles officer, last year, on the wake of EuroMilitaire. Is is an 80 mm creation, built over a The Fusilier body. It is based on figure C2, from the mentioned book. My friend Albert Oliveres did the paint job. More photos in the original thread...

Here

I am following your own project with interest - certainly the subject is an eye-catcher, and you are progressing very competently. Can't wait to see it finished!

On the subject of using plates as sources, I do not like to literally copy an illustration, I prefer to take it as a basis on which to add some creativeness. And I delve in additional sources if possible.

In this particular case, I didn't have much beyond the Osprey book, but I used it to learn more on the subject, and complemented it with other references, like Uniforms of the Imperial Russian Army, by Boris and John Mollo. In fact, this is usually needed, because Osprey titles are frequently lacking in detail; and things that are not visible in a 2-D plate are visible in a 3-D figure, and have to be adequately represented (for instance, I needed additional references to understand, and correctly model, some of the figure accesories). Besides. with that info at hand, I made some detail changes, like substituting a Nagant revolver for the C96 pistol the original plate shows. I also found the Korean idol was an interesting (and place-setting) complement for the figure.

Regards,

Daniel
  7. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Dani.A..lovely work on the figure...it's a nice pose that you captured. Great job.
    I have this Osprey on it's way...can't wait to take a good look at it.

All the best.

Roy
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Too cool, Dani! Nice figure and great setting and pose! In my copy of the Osprey RJ, the uniform looks medium grey. In your photo the figure's uniform is dark blue. Did the Mollo book indicate dark blue? Just curious.

Yes, you bring up some interesting problems that we have to solve. To me, that's almost as much fun as the sculpting!

Did somebody sculpt the B3 Russian private? In one of the slide shows from WE, I believe I saw a figure based on him, but now can't find it.

I had another project in mind, but I'm tempted to do the E3 Russian Seaman, holding the M1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle. Interesting color scheme, uniform, and equipment.

Any idea on existing 120mm rifles that I could convert to the Mosin-Nagant?

Or maybe the G2 Japanese private...gee, I don't know! Maybe both!!

All the best,
    Dan
  9. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    In answer to your question,Dan,yes,someone did sculpt the figure that you'd mentioned and it looked REALLY nice too ! HTH.
    Kenneth :lol:
  10. Dani A. New Member

Hi Dan,

Those coats were not regulation uniforms, but civilian garments, and varied in detail and colour. The Mollo book shows a dull red one, for instance.

Regarding the Moisin Nagant, I believe there are some WW2 Soviet Army figures that include one. Verlinden had a "Russian weapons" accesory pack with a Moisin Nagant, but I think it is OOP. You could consider switching the scale, too - The Fusilier does offer the Moisin, and it is available as a weapons spare pack - in 1:24 scale, matching their 80 mm figures.

I will surely revisit the Russo-Japanese war, too - it is a very attractive campaign.

Dani
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Kenneth - I'm glad to hear it wasn't a fig newton of my imagination. As I recall, it was a very good sculpt and I'd love to see it posted on PF. Will the mystery sculptor sign in please?

Dani - Now I understand. Civilian clothing, that makes sense! Thanks for the ideas on the Moison-Nagant rifle, but I think I still want to stay with 120mm.

I knew about the 80mm Fusilier ones, but not the Verlinden. Steve Warrilow must have been at the business of making figures for about 100 years with all the great stuff he's done in 80mm!

Ideas about a Japanese Type 30 Ariska rifle for the G2 soldier? I don't know of anybody that makes one of those in 120mm.

Have you seen the Osprey MAA 277 on the Russo-Turkish war? Another wealth of possible figure subjects! Ruggeri's illustrations are just beautiful!

All the best,

Dan
  12. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi Dan,

I got this book last friday. Some great uniforms in them. I also have the one on the Russian civil war (white armies) and I'm waiting for the one on the red army. The white army has some superb uniforms too. But where can I find more info on these uniforms, especially the backside? This is always a big problem for me, finding info on how a uniform looks from behind.

Best wishes and have fun sculpting all those figures,

Gino
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I don't think I've solved that one yet! In the case of the RJ war, Dani recommended another good source below. In the case of both my Skoboleff and Japanese Lieutenant figures, I gulped and guessed. Actually I did find a web site that had appropriate Russian uniforms for the RJ war, but now I can't locate it. Duh, forgot to bookmark it! There is also a very expensive Schiffer book on Russian uniforms, possibly also one on Japanese uniforms. I don't own either, so can't tell you if they'd solve the problem.

Anybody else got better answers????

All the best,
    Dan
  14. mahross New Member

Having taking Dan up on his offer of painting some of his figures I duly received this one through the post today and have to say that it is a very nice looking figure. Dan has done a very nice job on it. So hopefully in the not to distant future we may see some pics of it as I start to paint it.

Ross
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, Check out armybook.com. They sell a number of books and magazines on Russian uniforms. The color plates are nice and so are the photos. The downside is the Russian text. It used to take 6 months or more to get stuff from them, now they state a wait of 2-6 weeks. I ordered 6 books once and it took almost a year to get them all, but they did deliver all.~Gary
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Gary! And I see we ARE getting you interested in the Russo-Japanese war. Boy I'd love to see you do a figure from that period!!! ;)

For WWI period, I have some Armes Militaria magazines that show Russian uniforms pretty decently, esp. officers.

All the best,
    Dan