1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Searching for Valhalla the hall of Asgard

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Richie, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    You won't be expecting this from me, so here is how it came about.
    A few weeks ago I was down with flu and so re-watched one of my favourite series back to back throughout the week when I was off work.....that was the series Vikings.
    I then fancied a change for a short period of time from my Zulu stuff so I could go back to it with fresh eyes and so started looking for model figures from the series.

I came across these and bought the masters from the sculptor via Tommi, cheers mate. Tommi got the 3d files and set to work on them and what a cracking job he has done, thank you mate wonderful job as always.

The detail and textures are fantastic and spot on facial features.

I re-engineered a few bits on the figures once I had them and then made a set of moulds. I split the moulds this morning and cast a set. It took me about 30 minutes to assemble all four figures. I then under coated them and put a halo over the top.

So here are Ragnar, Floki, Lagertha and Rollo. If you don't know the series I highly recommend watching it. Ragnar has the spear, Floki with the knife towards his throat, Lagertha is the female warrior - shield maiden and Rollo, Ragnar's brother has the large battle axe.
    cheers
    Richie
    All1.jpg All2.jpg Floki front.jpg Floki front1.jpg Floki rear.jpg Lagetha front.jpg Lagetha front1.jpg Lagetha rear.jpg Ragnar front.jpg Ragnar front1.jpg Ragnar rear.jpg Rollo front.jpg Rollo front1.jpg Rollo rear.jpg
    Osebor, Scott Sheltz, 1969 and 9 others like this.
  2. Tommi A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Look fantastic assembled, now to get some paint on them and a base. Also gave me a chance to try out some new resin samples.
    Cheers
    Tommi
    Tecumsea, OldTaff, Babelfish and 2 others like this.
  3. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate,
    The resin you used was spot on. They do look good I am over the moon with them, will definitely start the painting process soon.
    Got some nice bases off Pete a while back will have a look through them.
    cheers
    Richie
    KenBoyle likes this.
  4. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Very nicely done. Look forward to seeing them painted. :):):)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Richie likes this.
  5. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ken,
    Thank you, I have just down loaded about 10 pictures of each character to use as references for the painting. Here are a few so you can relate the character to the model figure.
    cheers
    Richie
    Rag4.jpg Lag10.jpg Rol10.jpg Flo4.jpg Lag5.jpg
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Richie

Seasons greetings and all that

Had to reread the words ...Vikings + Richie !!.......great diversion and a good subject as well , figures certainly look good and as you said well cast by Tommi

Excellent references as well and a great series

Look forward to the painting

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda, Babelfish and Richie like this.
  7. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nap and Oda like this.
  8. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    It's great to have references like you posted. :) Looks like a fun project.

Cheers,
    Ken
    Richie likes this.
  9. Helm A Fixture

England
    Well different from your usual stuff. good stuff (y)
    Steve
    Richie likes this.
  10. Oda A Fixture

Well these chaps and the lady need no introduction really.The sculptor has done an amazing job and the figures are instantly recognisable.Textures and armor are delicately sculpted and cast.On the downside (IMHO of course) is that the initial sculptor followed the TV series as close as possible producing a set of fine Viking-like characters,as the series itself is full of historical inaccuracies and even downright Fantasy at some points.Personally I stopped watching it when,in the beginning of the 3d season and during a scene taking place in a camp,a messenger came riding (in the background to be fair) sporting a genuine 16th century Burgonet on his head.
    Nothing of the above is very important though.What's important is that these are some cracking good figures,you are fascinated by them and they are going to give you many hours of pleasure.Happy benchtime and don't forget to keep us posted.

Oda.
    Nap and Richie like this.
  11. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ken,
    Thank you, lots of muted colours I don't often get a chance to paint so will be a good challenge for me.

Hi Steve,
    Totally right, but if I can buy a hound in armour:LOL:.

Hi Oda,
    This is certainly not my period and I can appreciate the inaccuracies just like Zulu, Zulu Dawn and many others, I always overlook these and get into the story, I just love the series for what it is and the fine character performances.
    Like you say it's about liking the model figures and something has to really grab me to get me off the Zulu path and this is one of those times.

cheers
    Richie
    Nap, Tommi and Oda like this.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Lovely set of figure Richie, will look splendid all painted up.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Oda and Richie like this.
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi mate,
    Yes I'm looking forward to getting some time in soon.
    Cheers Richie
    Nap and Oda like this.
  14. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Finally managed to get a couple of hours painting in, not too much to show but off to a start.
    I thought I would start with Lagertha as she is the most difficult for me personally.
    cheers
    Richie
    LP1.jpg
    Scott Sheltz, Nap, KenBoyle and 3 others like this.
  15. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    For today's work I have toned the yellow hair down trying to make it platinum blonde, worked some more on the shield, fleshed out some of the clothes and started to layer up the leather and chain mail. God you can tell I don't paint much:meh:.
    I might just concentrate tomorrow on the face, break the oils out and the hair.
    cheers
    Richie
    LP2.jpg LP3.jpg LP4.jpg LP5.jpg
    Nap, Oda, KenBoyle and 4 others like this.
  16. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Keep chipping away at her mate, going well so far.
    Cheers
    Steve
    Richie likes this.
  17. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Today's work, she's moving along.
    cheers
    Richie
    LP6.jpg LP7.jpg LP8.jpg LP9.jpg
    Nap, Oda, KenBoyle and 2 others like this.
  18. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looking well Richie, nice one
    Steve
    Richie likes this.
  19. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Whilst I put Lagertha aside for the oils to dry on the face, I decided to start basing the torso of Rollo.

I would appreciate any input for painting the tatoo's on him i.e. colour choice and consistency.
    cheers
    Richie
    Rollopt.jpg

Rol10.jpg
  20. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi All,
    Not too much time available for painting, but this is how Rollo stands to date. I have been working on the skin tones, tattoo's and laying down colours for the trousers and boots.
    cheers
    Richie
    Rolp3.jpg RolP4.jpg RolP5.jpg