1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Searching for an ACW regimental flag

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by kinggeorges, Jun 4, 2013.

1. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    Hello,

I'm working currently on 28 mm Perry miniature Zouaves. They are great for plastic at such scale !
    I'm depicting zouave of the 74th NY volunteer regiment, which had a uniform pretty close to the french imperial guard zouave. They were part of the excelssior brigade. I searched over internet for hours to find the regimental flag of this unit, but without success.
    Does any eminent scientist of teh ACW conflict could help me on this one ?

All the best,
    Julien
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I assume this is the National (or geenric) colour rather than regimental color. http://www.myrtle-avenue.com/hoodchasseur.jpg from http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-32096.html

Some discusssion here http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=149694

Probably not much help. I checked my Union volume of Echoes of Glory which has a lot of extant colours, but no luck. A wargaming company called AMD does a set ACW8 that is 15mm colours of NY Zouave regiments but the catalogue listing does not indicate whether your 74th is included. I guess you could ask.

Alternately there must some specialsit ACW sites out there where the experts lurk awaiting just such a question as this.

Good luck

Colin
  3. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  4. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    Thanks a lot Colin for the hint ! I found the dmna site and was pretty upset not to find the regimental flag of the 74th.
    I would prefer to reproduce a regimental flag (closer to a painting in my opinion) rather than the national colour. I have in mind for example the 5th NY flag (duryee zouave) which would be perfect to reproduce. One question : what is a flank marker ? Is it a kind of pennant ? what is the scale, and would the unit hold it during a battle, in the brawl ?
    Best,
    Julien
  5. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Hi julien - I assume a flank marker was used to show the end of the unit's flank. Perhaps parade only during brigade and division excercises. I personally have doubts if such a marker would be uased in the confusion of ACW battle as it would needlessly draw fire and present a capture risk.

Colin
  6. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    Many thanks for your explaination Colin. The regimental flag will remain a mystery then.

Julien
  7. Steve Well-Known Member

United-States
    How about contacting the State of New York historical society?
  8. kinggeorges Active Member

France
    Thanks Steve for the advise. I did send them a messag through their FB page.