1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Seaforth Highlander or Black Watch cobbler

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks Vergilius and Roger!
    All the best,
    Dan
  2. elanlane13 A Fixture

England
    Congratulations Dan, you have captured the moment really well. There are so many interesting subjects from this period and you have picked a winner here. I look forward to seeing pictures of the box art, and wish you every success with this new release.
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Many thanks, Robert! You are most kind!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I received some good feedback on Timelines and decided to alter the figure a bit.

I started this project with a large group photo of Seaforth regiment cobblers in a half circle repairing boots. To fix the 'gravity' problem with the kilt, I referred to one of the cobblers who is in somewhat the same position, etc. To improve the folds on the arms, I referred to the Hogarth book and also, again, the photo. I didn't try to copy the folds from any one figure in the photo. I was bothered by the fact that the boot didn't quite come to rest on the leather hold-all. So I fixed that also. For the suspenders, basically I scraped about half of them off and started again.

I decided to show you the other head in these three photos. This is the Black Watch head. Black and green cap with two black flat satin (silk?) ribbons attached to the back bottom. (Something for the model-maker and painter to add.) The cap badge will be brass.

I think this is better. Note that I haven't cleaned the figure yet and I see some details that need finesse-ing, but otherwise...

All the best,
    Dan

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      95 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      81.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      87 KB
      Views:
  5. jaime Member

Spain
    Excellent work, as usual.

Jaime
  6. Don Well-Known Member

Dan
    Been following this figure and think its wonderful. Certainly one for me when its produced.
    One thing though, are you sure the cobbler in your colour photo is wearing shorts. Cant get it blown up enough to really see, but could he be wearing his leather apron over his kilt. Dont know if you are aware but soldiers of the "Highland Regiments" wore a leather wrap around apron over their kilt as a form of protection for the kilt. I would have thought that as a cobbler he would be wearing it while working.
    I am sure you have checked it out. but have been wondering what you saw in your photo. Dont worry I will still get the figure when it comes out.
    Don
  7. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Jaime and Don - Many thanks, gents! I've just been working on fitting the lower legs to the upper. For casting, the legs had to be separated at about the hem of the kilt. I apologize for the delay. I was traveling all last week in west Texas, so couldn't do anything on it.

Don - Well, I'm not exactly positive whether he's wearing shorts or the apron, or possibly a hodden grey or tan kilt. All those were worn by the Scottish regiments. The cobbler photo I showed in an earlier post is only a piece of a larger panorama. There are 7 or 8 cobblers working in a semi-circle. One is clearly wearing the Seaforth kilt. Another is wearing what look to me and other guys on the Great War Forum like shorts. One is probably wearing an apron over his kilt. I just thought the kilt would be the most attractive choice for the painters. If you want to convert it to a leather apron or add one on top of the kilt front, that shouldn't be too hard. You probably wouldn't even have to use putty - just wet card stock cut to fit and bent into shape.

All the best,
    Dan
  8. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Where in West Texas were you at? We live at the end of the known world in Alpine, Texas...far west for sure!
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I stayed in a hotel in Fort Stockton, but was working about 30 miles out on ranch roads from Marathon. 180 mile round trip commute! Nutz!

Marathon is actually a pretty little town - touristy. They have a famous hotel there. Never got over to Alpine, but we had another job going on there also. Alpine is not quite the end of the known world, but really close. I could name some other towns where Union Pacific has small shops or yards that are in the bidding for that title. I work for Union Pacific railroad and our tracks run thru that area and the only driving access to them is over ranch roads. If you've ever driven any, it's almost like off-roading. I really butchered a Ford Explorer rental. The Engineering gang I was working with was refinishing and replacing curved rail. I was doing air monitoring of diesel exhaust, noise and dusts. [Plenty of dust!] Since I went to grad school at Texas Tech in Lubbock, I kinda knew what I was in for! :)

Add to that two big dust storms and a near-by tornado and it made for a busy week. But I found an outstanding Mexican restaurant in Fort Stockton away from the Interstate. I forget the name, but if you are ever in Ft. Stockton, drive down the main street and it's a tan painted building with a brown sign painted cartoon fashion on the building. I can't recommend the fish tacos, but the cheese, fried onion and bean enchiladas are super!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hah! You werent far from here at all!

Marathon is very close to Alpine, should have given me a holler! A real food place to eat in Marathon is the Gage Hotel, got some great Elk Medalions!

I know all about the dust storms Wednesday and Thursday, as I was out working cattle those days. Not too much fun with 40-50 MPH winds.

Don't know much about Ft. Stockton though, only been there a couple of times. Although from what I hear its a bit of a booming place due to the latest "oil boom".

Next time your in the area give me a holler!
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Honestly, I would have, Anders, but I was up at 4:00 and never back in my hotel until 7:30 pm or later. And then had an hour or more of sample pump calibration. Long days...I don't think I would have been fit for socializing much. See you at one of the shows...

All the best,
    Dan
  12. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Yeah I hear you about long hours! Working on a large cattle ranch there is never enough daylight to get everything done, and that is when everything goes according to plan :)
  13. vergilius New Member

Belgium
    It's turning out very nicely, your cobbler
  14. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Anders - and THAT's why I only get to sculpt on weekends! But only a few years more until retirement.

Vergilius - Many thanks sir. I think the changes I made make it look more attractive and natural and my hat's off to Anders for suggesting most of them!

The cobbler is now done and packaged for shipping to John McNenney for casting. We'll see how many headaches I've caused him. I hope not many. The issue of the legs and how to attach them was solved by using the same approach as Alan Ball used on a couple of his kits. [I have bought some of his kits to study technique.] I had fixated on making pegs with inserts for the lower legs. John warned that the insert holes would cause trouble in casting. I filled and smoothed the insert holes and drilled out the pegs and filled and smoothed that side of the lower legs until I had flush and smooth mountings. I think it worked. Done. And thank goodness. Whew!

Next - I'm working on a 4th Regiment, USMC, 1930s era - a North China Marine - for a collector - Mr Marty Fine. A simple figure in a slightly twisted at the waist, off-center pose. He's holding a shoulder slung BAR at the waist fire and move position. A little "out of uniform" in that he's wearing the Montana-peaked hat with flat brim and has his tin pot slung from his waist belt. Marty's request.

I'm also working on a head conversion for him. I started with the head from the Verlinden WWI German kit "All Quiet on the Western Front". I'm working toward one of the character actors in the movie - Louis Wolheim - who played Stanislaus Katczinsky, or "Kat". Great face! The expression on his face will be a scowl. He had a real bulldog lower lip and there are other facial features that I can work with. If I can get a good likeness I'll put him in a torn German uniform. Suggestions on what he might be doing? Marty thought holding a stein of beer, but why would he be scowling? :)

All the best,
    Dan
  15. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Good work Dan, I like the way it turned out.
    Thanks for sharing.

Cheers
    Roc
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc! The package went out today to John McNenney.

Any thoughts on "Kat"?

All the best,
    Dan
  17. damkid2 Member

United-States
    Question?

Where is this available as a kit?
  18. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
  19. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice piece, and very much in my field of interest.;)
  20. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dennis and Michael - Many thanks! Ulrich - thanks for answering the question! Nice short-stop play. :)

All the best,
    Dan