1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting the mouth SBS

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Mar 9, 2006.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is a side view. A little care has to be taken when sculpting the mouth this way as it is very easy for the mouth to be positioned forward of the the forehead. If you note the first illustration in profile you can draw a straight line from the forhead to the mouth, with the chin being positioned a little behind this.

As you can see here the mouth/chin is positioned a little too far forward. If you should sculpt a mouth this way it's important to not build the up the bottom half of the head when you rough in the head.

Attached Files:

2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    (y) (y) SBS tutorial,Gary !!! Thanks for posting it. Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Two views showing the chin.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here the chin has been blended more. I have also blended the sides of the lower lip. Compare it to the previous picture.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Two lines have been drawn from the center of the eyes. Aything that extends beyond the lines are blended into the rest of the face so the mouth is in scale to the rest of the head.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    3/4 view. Note that there is a little bit of a space between the lips. Though I will close them, it's okay to leave them this way as it does give the mouth a more relaxed look.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The corners of the mouth are indicated by making a dimple at either ends of the mouth.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    In the last photo I've meade the top lip a little smaller by blending it into the upper portion.

At this stage I continue to push the Sculpey around, refining the mouth further. At some point I'll do another SBS showing an alternate dmethod for scuulpting the mouth. I hope this is found helpful.~Gary

Attached Files:

9. TorMag Member

Very Helpful.... Just what the doctor ordered. I am going to redo the mouth on my current sculpt tonight.

Tor
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Phil, Thank you. It's my pleasure to share and hopefully provide things that are of use.~Gary
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Kenneth, Your welcome. There are a couple of ways to sculpt a mouth and I thought this might be the easiest way.~Gary
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Excellent tutorial, Gary!

I use the same method to sculpt mouths although I doubt I could explain it as simply and clearly as you did.

(y) (y) (y)

Best wishes,
    Quang
  13. georges64 Member

France
    Dario... :lol:
    georges ;)
  14. georges64 Member

France
    I will say :"Gary's Planet" :lol:
    millions and millions thanks Gary for your sbs!!
    georges,lol
  15. Cicero New Member

Albania
    Hi Gary,

Thank you for your SBS. It is explained very good and very understandable (y) . Sadly enough I think I never will get to it myself. Too sticky fingers I presume!

Please, enjoy us with more of this!
    Take care.

Johan ;)
  16. KIMBEARLYS Member

United-States
    Hi Gary,
    I must say that I have been going through your v-bench. Wow! You are such a great person. Not only do you help everyone, but the time and effort that you put into everything is so wonderful. I wish there were more people on this earth like you. Maybe you could move to California? I wouldn't mind having a neighbor like you!
    Your the best! A GREAT example to live by
    Thanks again
    Kimbearly
  17. slaj Well-Known Member

Malta
    Gary very informative as usual. Thanks for taking the time to share with us. You're to be commended since not many do that

Stephen Mallia
  18. MAB Well-Known Member

Italy
    Hello Garyjd you have had one optimal idea
    it compliments for interesting yours tutorial.

;) MAB
  19. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gary.....I haven't really commented on your SBS's much, but to sculpt something and to take such regular photos, and to be consistently good and educational and to share. My hat is off to you. Respect.

do you ever worry it's not good enough? ;) have panic attacks? or are you a machine? :lol:

Big thanks for sharing
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Thank you. I do not consider myself much of a teacher. I just hold out a little hope that between the pictures and what I write help to make sense out of all of this.~Gary