1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting the eye SBS

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by garyjd, Nov 10, 2005.

1. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Tor, I decided to do the SBS on the eye separately from the figure SBS. This is basic demonstration on sculpting the eye. The eye I am going to sculpt is roughly 1/8 scale, but the techniques used are the same I use for a smaller scale figure.

The first thing is to form the eye socket.

Attached Files:

2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    I blend a ball of Sculpey that will form the eyeball into the socket.

Attached Files:

3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Next a strip of Sculpey that will form the upper eyelid is put into place.

Attached Files:

4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The upper eyelid is blended into the socket. There is plenty of material to work the eye into the proper shape.

Attached Files:

5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    A piece of Sculpey that will make up the lower eyelid is put into place and trimmed.

Attached Files:

6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The lower lid blended into the lower socket.

Attached Files:

7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    The soft curve that is between the eyelid and brown is put into place.

Attached Files:

8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Area is blended.

Attached Files:

9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another piece of Sculpey that will make up the brow is put into place.

Attached Files:

10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Brow is blended.

Attached Files:

11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here I have worked the pupil into the eye. This is something I normally do not do on a figure.

I hope this at least gives an idea of how to sculpt an eye.

Attached Files:

12. TorMag Member

Gary you are a true sculpting stud..... I really appreciate you doing this. I must tell you, I had bought Katherine Dewey's book (and a fantastic book it is) but for some reason your SBS has clicked so much better for me.

Thanks again

Tor
  13. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Thanks Gary........you never stop to amaze all of us here and teach most of us ;)

Pics are saved as usual in my "sculpting folder" for maybe one day :lol:

Best Regards,

Ray :)
  14. Calvin Member

Hi Gary,
    a very instructive sbs, this and the one related to the whole figure, I'm learning a lot through your pictures.
    One of the greater problem I have is to mantain the exact simmetry between parts, eyes is a good example. How do you do that ? Sculpting one eye and next reproducing the other or making them at the same time ?
    Thanks, Luca
  15. neill Active Member

United-States
    Nice Job and great instrucitonal help.

Keep up the good work!

Neill
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, Please refer to this illustration, it should be the best way to not only see but explain how not only the eyes, but nose, mouth, and ears are located in relation to one another.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words. I enjoyed doing this sbs that was more of a "sketch" in sculpey.~Gary

Attached Files:

17. Calvin Member

Hi Gary,
    sorry if I was unclear, but I was referring to the modelling/sculpting technique, not the anatomy chart.
    Once you have established and fixed the whole anatomy using a drawing or whatever, how do you sculpt (for example) the eyes ? One after one, or both at the same time ?
    For me is almost impossible to do one piece at time, I must start the pair at the same time, but even this way I found really hard to mantain the exact simmetry between corresponding parts (eyes, lips, etc.).
    I've overemphasized the contrast of the picture to show you what I mean. As you can see, one cheek is more pronunced, one eye is more bulging, and so on.
    Just wondering if there is an exact technique or if it only depends by the one eye.
    Luca

Attached Files:

18. thegoodsgt Active Member

United-States
    Gary, you make it look easy. I hate you.
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Luca, I used to do one at a time but find I get better results doing them at the same time. I'm left handed and find when I do the left eye or ear have a bit harder time doing them. You just have to be careful to give equal time and add an equal amount of material to both sides.~Gary
  20. Calvin Member

I hear you. I was left handed too, but at the primary school I was 'corrected', so I have - always - some troubles with the right/left issue. When sculpting, I use the right hand but sometime I realize that I'm using it as if it was the left hand (with the piece upside down and the right hand entirely contorted).