1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting SBS,,,possibly how not to do it !!!

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by stu, Nov 28, 2014.

1. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi

Following Ron's request here goes.

Putty,,,choose the one you like,,,I like Aves Epoxy sculpt White but can use standard. The superfine I find too hard,,,any tips greatly appreciated.
    You can choose any but I will be showing 2 part epoxy putty. Generally all epoxy putties can be mixed together to combine their properties.

Armature,,,I use flower arrangers wire ,,,its cheap and bends easy ,,,any is good.

Along the way I will probably use some castings ,,,yep its easy for me but if time permits I can possibly show you how to make them,,,I'm not the worlds best but I've been fortunate to also see how they do it.

Subject,,,I have chosen 2,,,the pics are enclosed and one is chosen to give me a kick up the derrier to do it,,,,again please if your a manufacturer don't copy it or this stops.

One is a gunner 6th Bombay mountain artillery battery,,,,the other Piper, 1st Battalion Gordon highlanders both are from Afghanistan and the 1897/98 NW frontier uprising.

More soon

Stuart

Attached Files:

• SBS4.jpg
      SBS4.jpg
      File size:
      110.3 KB
      Views:
    • SBS5.jpg
      SBS5.jpg
      File size:
      197.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Funky50 Guest

This has come just in time for me cheers Stu....Kevin
    stu likes this.
  3. Eludia A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    /pulls up a chair :)
    stu likes this.
  4. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    And a good beer ;)
    garyhiggins and stu like this.
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    A good glass of wine.
    Wire is in the drawer as the putty is.
    Scale measures are in the nearby.
    So I give it a chance.

marc
    Wings5797 and stu like this.
  6. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Definitely will be following with interest :)

-Rich
    stu likes this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    You've just gained another follower.
    Many thanks for taking the time.

Andrew
    stu likes this.
  8. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Here goes,,

To be honest I don't really think about the next stage to much,,,it just comes

Mannwquin

Taking a lenth of wire I bend it twice around my index finger so I get the shape in the pics,,,you can leave the legs long but mine are roughly 62mm long,,,like I say it was a guess. Cut the wire.

Get 2 balls of equal amounts of putty and mix it.

I then take part of it ,,,about a 1cm diameter maybe slightly more and put it in the middle of the legs to form the pelvis,,,flatten the top. Make sure the bends in the wire are free,,,to move them later on. You don't need any tool just fingers.

With the rest of the putty make a rough triangle shape to form the chest ,,,flatten the ends slightly for the arm points.

Cut a short length of wire put it in the pelvis towards the back half,,,thats where your spine is !! so it kinda works ,,insert the chest part as shown and rest it flat on a piece of caed or paper. The distance between pelvis and chest is about a cm on mine.

Put this on the radiator and let it set.

All I can say is make a couple,,,play around with it you got about 2hrs to get it right before it all starts to harden.

I usually use a piece of wire to mark the points for the arms and head.

That's it for now,,,I will ask some buddies if they will join in and help so hopefully making it a bit more helpful.

For the next few parts you will need some basic anatomy so get some info on posture,,muscle anatomy and if you can find it functional anatomy ie what the joints can do,,,whats possible and whats not.

As an osteopath that's easy.....but you all got them so think about it !!!

I will try to point out most as I go along.

Hope this helps,,, any questions fire away ,,,and anybody can respond,,,I'm not available all the time( Quiet Day today)

Stuart

Attached Files:

9. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I own very few anatomical reference books for sculpting simply because there so much of it published on the internet. Go to Google type in "artists anatomical reference", click the images tag and see for yourself - there is stacks of it out there! Another search term that can help the sculpting process is "artists anatomical planes reference", this will give you images that simplify the contours of the body, head and limbs (great for roughing out the basic shapes).

Another great place to collect information is on Pinterest. Create an account and get the add-on for your browser, if you see an image at any time on the net you can add it your collect and then build up a library for future reference.

I sculpt in front of my computer, but you can also use your mobile phone or tablet to connect - free easily accessed information that you can flick through. If your accessing reference via your computer try downloading XnView, this an image software (its free) that will allow you have multiple images up on your screen in a tabbed interface (much like your internet browser). This speeds up your access to reference without costantly having to dig into files.

Hope this helps...

-Rich
    garyhiggins, stu and Scotty like this.
  10. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    Well done Stu this will be a great asset. I can't believe you saw past that beautiful Argyll image though! Will these be commercial? I've been looking for a 120mm piper.
    Keep up the good work,
    Scotty.
  11. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Don't forget all the images and reference you will ever need are on you,,,yes your own anatomy. Its what I do.

Selfies are great for faces ;):D

And I only just thought of that

Stu
    Rich Sculpts likes this.
  12. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Scotty

I make everything I sculpt,,,the argyl or something like it is already in progress and you will see it soon !!!

Many thanks mate

Stuart

PS I may want some reference pics from you so we can post them on here
    BarrieHynd likes this.
  13. Scotty A Fixture

Scotland
    No worries Stu, just let me know what you need. The dress from the waist down didn't really change til 2006 so anything I can do to help.
    Scotty.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Stu,

I will never make a sculptor but very interested in seeing this SBS progress from a bit of wire to .......

Following with interest

Nap
    stu likes this.
  15. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Some great news !!!

Carl has agreed to do a Bust Sbs,,,simplified on my next commission.

Possibly end of December early January

Keep lookin in

Stu
  16. Nap Moderator

England
    Stu,

That is good news this could be the start of a very good part of the forum ...

On the lookout

Nap
    stu likes this.
  17. Rich Sculpts A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nice one - that will definitely be nominated for a sticky post on the sculpting forum (y)

-Rich
  18. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I posted this in another thread, I don't know if it will help.
    Should be good.(y)
    Ferris, Blind Pew, 1969 and 5 others like this.
  19. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    I will be following this with great interest.
    Did one shot at a scratch build, flying blind. Would love to try it again with a little more guidance.

Carry on

Colin
    Scotty likes this.
  20. stu A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    To everybody following.

At the end of this there is no reason why you wont have a sculpt of your own and you can show it on here and post help and advice on here.

I have already started the next phase with some ideas etc so get your mannequins made and lets build these figures together. If you want a different scale the principles are the same but just a different size.

I will be building 3 figures to show how bits are done and i still need get hold of moz to assist also.

It will be slow so you can all keep up

Use carls excellent body chart he posted above to get the correct size ...its really good.. basically 120mm figure is for this exercise is to the top of the head.

Stuart