1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting metal trash cans

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by btavis, Sep 9, 2004.

1. btavis Active Member

United-States
    This is weird but I need to sculpt badly dented metal trash cans of the type like the galvanized ones on this page: trash cans.

Any ideas from any sculpting gurus?
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Do you think they could be made with scale corregated foil/sheet?~Gary
  3. Einion Well-Known Member

Hi Bob, I've been debating something along these lines myself and I thought that the best way would be to sculpt a putty master over which foil could be burnished into the nooks and crannies. Haven't tried it myself yet but I used the basic technique to make corrugated steel sheeting and it worked okay. I'm not sure how successful it's going to be over a three-dimensional former but it might be worth a shot.

Einion
  4. Grizzly Member

Hi Bob,

What about these? http://www.hobby-online.com/ab20.jpg

The drums are smashed and trim the rims around them some and then form the corrugated material around them? Just my 2 cents ;)

Thomas
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    what a challenge! if it were to be 54mm and smaller i'd probably go with a drag and scrape method.. fluted items are such a pain :eek:
  6. fsdesimone Member

I ran into this when I made fluted columns for Roman vignette a few years ago. I took a wooden dowel, put some putty around it and depressed the fluting into that with a proper scaled rod. It wasn't so bad if I worked in stages.

I later discovered that fluted joint pegs exist for carpentry. Maybe you could use those?

Francesca
  7. JP PRAJOUX Member

Didn't verlinden make something approaching a few years ago ? I'm not sure but you should check their website.I will go myself for you if I have a few minutes left.
    Hope this is note a dead-end.
    Bye JP
  8. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Bob, I guess you want these in 1/32 scale, I would think that a 1/9 scale german gas mask case would be ideal, however you may need to remove a bit out of the middle to make em shorter and you even get a ready made lid as well.
    A 1/9 scale gas mask case would give you a trash can about 18" in diameter in 1/32.
  9. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the ideas. I think it is going to be trial and error process for sure. Not only is the fluting a challenge but then banging up the cans and showing dents along with the fluting will be even more so. (How do I get myself into these things?) I will keep everyone posted if I make any significant progress with this. I like the metal around a fluted form idea since once the form is made pristine I could possible then dent them.
  10. Jim Hockett Member

Bob,

My suggestion would be to check out the Evergreen styrene sheet at your local hobby shop. They make a number of different siding types, out of which may make an appropriate pattern for you. Once you get the pattern embossed onto the foil you can smooth out a strip around the top and bottom and form it into shape.

Jim
  11. Einion Well-Known Member

Hehe, yep as if fluting wasn't hard enough by itself you've got taper and dents to worry about too! :eek:

Einion