1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting Mail

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by kevininpdx, Dec 5, 2023.

1. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Greetings. I’m interested in trying a conversion on a 90mm figure. I want to sculpt an aventail over a face hanging from the helmet. Can anyone point me to any tutorials or give me tips for sculpting mail?
  2. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Rather an unsophisticated method -- I made up a daub of mixed Milliput about the size of a quarter coin with a pinch of the stuff as a handle. Then press against existing portion of chain mail. Remove carefully to preserve the impressions. Let dry.
    Then prepare fresh putty for use on your figure and use the now-hardened bit from before to make chain mail impressions.

There will likely be better suggestion from other Planeteers, but the above has worked before.
    NR
    Wayneb, David Spencer and kevininpdx like this.
  3. Dr Bison Well-Known Member

Germany
    I found these two tutorials:

Cheers
    Karl
    Nap, David Spencer and kevininpdx like this.
  4. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    I found old notes from an IPMS club meeting where another member gave a demo of chain mail. He used putty and then the open end of a ball point pen to make the interlocking impressions. FWIW
    kevininpdx and Wayneb like this.
  5. kevininpdx Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the input everyone. I’ll start experimenting.
  6. NRG Active Member

Kevin,
    I use a small brass tube with the end cut off at an angle to make a little “c” shape at the end. I then make a series of staggered offset lines of little “c”s pressed into the wet putty.
    I have also tried using a very fine tube to press staggered offset line of little “o”s but I prefer the little “c”s.
    Hope the following helps.

IMG_9988.jpeg IMG_9991.jpeg IMG_9992.jpeg IMG_9994.jpeg
    Dr Bison, kevininpdx and Nap like this.