1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting Contest

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Dec 7, 2003.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    As always, side views are so much more revealing than the front.

What we should consider first is the 'facial slope' which often determines the 'ethnicity' of the subject. Caucasian subjects have a vertical slope while Amerindians (and Asian Mongoloids) often have a slanted profile. But not as much as on your sculpt.

Secundo, the neck (or lack of) which often is added as if it's an after-thought The neck is ESSENTIAL to the expressiveness (?) of the sculpt. It's the way one holds his head which determines the expression (fear, sadness, pride, joy, ...).

The next common error is the receding chest. Remember, our subject is alive and breathing. So let's give him some lungs.

Other areas requiring attention are: the ears (too big), the nose (too bulky) and the back of the head (too prominent).

I hope you're not too put off by these remarks. Just keep in mind that this is but the start of the journey. Things can only get better and better. (y) (y)

Quang
  2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    As always, side views are so much more revealing than the front.

What we should consider first is the 'facial slope' which often determines the 'ethnicity' of the subject. Caucasian subjects have a vertical slope while Amerindians (and Asian Mongoloids) often have a slanted profile. But not as much as on your sculpt.

Secundo, the neck (or lack of) which often is added as if it's an after-thought The neck is ESSENTIAL to the expressiveness (?) of the sculpt. It's the way one holds his head which determines the expression (fear, sadness, pride, joy, ...).

The next common error is the receding chest. Remember, our subject is alive and breathing. So let's give him some lungs.

Other areas requiring attention are: the ears (too big), the nose (too bulky) and the back of the head (too prominent).

I hope you're not too put off by these remarks. Just keep in mind that this is but the start of the journey. Things can only get better and better. (y) (y)

Quang
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Wow! Now that's constructive if nothing else is. Jim, print this out, take notes, what have you. Keeping in mind all the areas Quang mentions, the next piece, and the one after that will show marked differences. this is a great exercise, and I hope to see more examples posted later.~Gary
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Wow! Now that's constructive if nothing else is. Jim, print this out, take notes, what have you. Keeping in mind all the areas Quang mentions, the next piece, and the one after that will show marked differences. this is a great exercise, and I hope to see more examples posted later.~Gary
  5. LCoote New Member

Australia
    These are all excellent points Quang, you are after all, the master of such things ;)

Jim, these are the points that make us better sculpters, and you've finished the piece in the given time, I think it will take me a couple of months yet :(
  6. LCoote New Member

Australia
    These are all excellent points Quang, you are after all, the master of such things ;)

Jim, these are the points that make us better sculpters, and you've finished the piece in the given time, I think it will take me a couple of months yet :(
  7. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    :eek: WOW Quang! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :) :) :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring your insight. Your observations are so constructive and informative! I appreciate them very much! That's exactly what I was looking for. They will be very helpful as I attempt to grow in sculpting.

You can bet I'll be printing off your posts and studying them closely!

Thank you again!

-jim cox
  8. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    :eek: WOW Quang! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! :) :) :)

Thank you for taking the time and effort to bring your insight. Your observations are so constructive and informative! I appreciate them very much! That's exactly what I was looking for. They will be very helpful as I attempt to grow in sculpting.

You can bet I'll be printing off your posts and studying them closely!

Thank you again!

-jim cox
  9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang,

I have to agree. I have not even dared venture into this area but your insight is very enlightening!

Joe
  10. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang,

I have to agree. I have not even dared venture into this area but your insight is very enlightening!

Joe
  11. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    On the flipside I wil have a new camera no later than March 25 (15th anniversary) But the Wife says I just might just have to get it before then. So at some point I'll be able to post some pics and perhaps get Quang to comment on my efforts. :) ~Gary
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    On the flipside I wil have a new camera no later than March 25 (15th anniversary) But the Wife says I just might just have to get it before then. So at some point I'll be able to post some pics and perhaps get Quang to comment on my efforts. :) ~Gary
  13. quang Active Member

Belgium
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, I was able to borrow a HP 2.1MP camera from a friend. It does not take great close-ups but this is the best it'll do.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Guys, I was able to borrow a HP 2.1MP camera from a friend. It does not take great close-ups but this is the best it'll do.~Gary
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thre quarter
  18. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thre quarter
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Profile.

My views

-The face looks to fat/full (maybe the camera angle)
    -Forehead may slope way too much
    -Can't see any of the wrinkles I worked in (camera's fault)
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Profile.

My views

-The face looks to fat/full (maybe the camera angle)
    -Forehead may slope way too much
    -Can't see any of the wrinkles I worked in (camera's fault)