1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting Contest

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Dec 7, 2003.

1. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Gary,

I am looking forward to seeing this bust come to life. I look forward to seeing the pcitures and sbs! (y)

Joe
  2. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, Thanks my friend. I should have refered the original scan. At some point I would have lost my mind figuring it out.

Joe, I will do as much in the way of an sbs as possible. I'm not sure they'll be as involved as Gordy's, but I'll try.~Gary
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Steps 1 and 2 and some of 4 from the above are completed. I mostly wanted to establish the overall shape of the piece, especially where it ends. As you can see I used some rough sandpaper to give the sculpey a "toothy" surface to grab onto. The pencil lines indicate the center, collarbones shoulders and upper arms, which will require a little carving. I'm happy with the overall proportions and can now move on. By the way is anyone else doing this project? Just checking.~Gary
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's a 3/4 view.
  5. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I wasn't going to, but your in progress work has got me wanting to try some of the techniques. I'm on the bubble, the problem is I have already got so many projects started I need to do some painting.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    John, I'm not trying to pressure anyone, no sense in biting off more than you can chew (I've done it several times). I have a few things I'm doing myself, it's just getting squeezed into the little downtime I have in between letting putty dry on my marine. Maybe this is something Gordy could explore for the future, it's a fun way to share the hobby and see the multitude of interpretations that can be gotten on a single subject. It does not have to be a contest, Call it a "sculpting challenge" or a "painting challenge", man I love this site! ~Gary
  7. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    I'm going to give it a whirl. What a great way to share information about a particular subject and it's specific challenges. Doing a common subject is also a great way for a beginner to learn from the pros!

Hopefully I'll have some pics by this weekend.

Work + Wife/4 kids + Other projects ^_^ ^_^ = Very little time to play :(

-jim cox
  8. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Great idea! (y) Love to see this developed more in the future.

-jim cox
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim, Welcome aboard! I know what you mean about "finding" the time, just do what you can.

The carving portion is about 80+% done. I'll post some pics (along with Marine pics) tomorrow, and then move on to preparing the head surface for sculpting.~Gary
  10. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jim, What scale are you going to do?~Gary
  11. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guys,

I am looking forward to seeing what you all do with this! (y) I would love to try this one day and Gary maybe you are right about having Gordy do this sometime in the future. I also agree, I love this site! ;)

I would also love to see.......Legih maybe give this a go?

Joe
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Jim,

We're all looking forward to it.

(y) (y) (y)

Q.
  13. simon1969 New Member

United-Kingdom
    Great idea! (y) Love to see this developed more in the future.

-jim cox [/b][/quote]
    I'd be up for a "group sculpt/paint" in the future too!
    how about it Gordy?

Simon
  14. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Gary,

I'm going to try 120 - 200 mm. I'll have to make up some scale charts - don't have any yet.

I haven't done anything that small yet because I'm new to sculpting. (All the 54mm folks are now rolling their eyes - THAT SMALL?? ) My first two busts are 1/4 and 1/6 scale. I found it easier to practice facial features in the bigger scales, plus I don't have a good repertoire of tools yet or knowledge of how to use them for specific effects. (I use my fingers, needle tool and a paint brush handle a lot!)

-jim cox
  15. bobparker Member

England
    I too have a attempt on the go . but no digital camera but am taking shots as the work progresses,Quang, thanks for the shared info i am enjoying this one, it will be good to see others interpretation off a likeness from a single photo.
    Cheers Bob
  16. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Welcome aboard, Bob. (y)

Jim, if you're uncomfortable with the smaller scale, why not try YOUR usual size?

Keep in mind that the purpose of this 'sculptingfest' is NOT to win. It's not the winning that counts, it's the doing.

You may not know it but thanks to Aeronaudts' initiative, you guys are perhaps in the process of making a 'first' on the WWW!

Keep it rollin' (the putty, I mean)

Q.
  17. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Thanks Quang, I may do that if it does not turn out well. I thought the original specs were for 120mm?

You're right though and I'm certainly not in this to win but to learn and observe (and what an opportunity to see first hand how the masters do it - for this reason alone I'd love to see your version! ). I would agree with Gary that in the future we refer to this as a sculpting/painting 'challenge' (which I'm sure is the original intent), after all if it were a real contest folks like myself would not even consider entering. :(

-jim cox
  18. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Jim,

The original specs call for a 1cm- high face, which I quickly extrapoled into 120mm scale (normally that should be 1,5cm high if it were a 8-head high figure).

You're right. 'Challenge' would be closer to the truth.

As for my participation, you already know my reasons. Here's another one: I'm already sculpting full-time. What should I do in my spare time? Sculpting? :lol:

Q.
  19. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'd be up for one in the future. Kids (birthday) + christmas + work = bad time of year.

Bob: bring along your piece to the club night (either one). I'm bringing along my digicam so frank can get some pictures up here, so kill two birds, so to speak. see u tomorrow?

Rob
  20. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Joe, I was going to wait until I had made some more progress ;) , but here it is anyway

I'm approaching this project with some trepidation, it's a very unfamiliar subject for me, and having to capture a likeness as well makes it that bit more difficult as well.

Anyway I'll see how I go <_<

Great to see a few others having a go as well