1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting Contest

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Dec 7, 2003.

1. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Profile shot:

Attached Files:

2. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Profile shot:
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work................ (y)
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome work................ (y)
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work guys (y)
  6. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Excellent work guys (y)
  7. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Rob, please pass on to Bob that his work looks outstanding! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

-jim cox
  8. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Rob, please pass on to Bob that his work looks outstanding! Thanks for sharing it with us! :)

-jim cox
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Well, with the deadline around the corner, this is where I'm at with LittleHand, Ive made some alterations as suggested by Quang, the likeness is not exactly as I would like it but it is probably close enough.
    Two months seems like a long time but it sure gets away, I'll still continue on as I would like to finish it some day

Attached Files:

10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    another view

Attached Files:

11. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Great work Leigh! Please keep us posted on your progress even if you don't quite make the contest deadline. Love to see how your bust turns out. :)

-jim cox
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Bob, Nice to see another rendition.

Leigh, I'm in the same boat with you. There's no making the deadline and I won't rush what's left to do it. Once it's finally finished I'll post some pics.~Gary
  13. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great work Guys! They really are comming together nicely.
  14. bobparker Member

England
    Hi all,
    After all the advice Given on this subject i think that i may start again,seems since i changed it from too much neck to no neck the head is forward, he has no chest and his hair looks like a pound of sausages and the nose is off a bit ,but thanks for your kind words.
    Bob
  15. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Bob,

I don't want to appear over optimistic but the key to good sculpting (and painting) is a DISCERNING EYE.

The fact that you can see what went wrong with your current project can only mean that you will try to avoid the same mistakes on your next. (y)

Keep on rolling (putty)! :lol: :lol:

Quang
  16. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Jim, Gary, thanks guys, (y)
    It,s been something very different to what i would normally sculpt and if it wasn't for the contest I would most likely not have attempted such a subject.
    While sculpting a head in itself is relatively straight forward, trying to sculpt a good likeness is another matter and I certainly have a greater appreciation for those sculpters who are able to do this, both Quang's and Mike Good's work immediately comes to mind.
    I'll post more pics as I make more progress.
  17. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, I'm really glad you took part, your work is great. It will be great to see pics of the finished bust. Given that, It would be something to see you do a WW2 subject.

Quang, I could not agree with your comments more. Observation, and I mean "careful" observation is one of the main ingredients in getting it right.~Gary
  18. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Gary, if I ever do another bust it would probably be something from WW2, though the subject has been done to death already :)

By the way how is the marine coming along ?
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, I thought that WW2 had been done to death myself, that's until I became interested in the period. Other sculptors have done it to death but I have yet to sculpt my first from the period. I'm not giving up on my usual time period(s) of interest, just expanding my horizons a bit.

The Marine is almost complete. I will be sending out the musket and bayonet for casting within a day or two so I can add the left hand to a copy. I'm looking forward to starting something new. More on that and the Marine later~Gary
  20. Pete_H New Member

Gary,
    I don't think the "period" itself has been done to death, but certain "topics" have. Take, for instance, the SS. I mean, when Verlinden releases a 1/35 figure of a Waffen SS soldier taking a crap, you know it's been done to death! I'm afraid that one of my favorite subjects - US airborne forces - are falling towards this category as well. How many different ways can one depict a US paratrooper in Normandy? What about Market-Garden? Op. Varsity? Or airborne actions in the PTO?
    World War II is definitely a historical period rich in miniature subjects; in fact, far richer than many think. IMHO, this is a historical period that definitely deserves far more exploration, especially while we still have the best resources around - the veterans themselves. I mean, how cool is it to actually email or call up the veteran that's the focus of your subject, just to ask about "uniform & field gear details"?