1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting Contest

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by quang, Dec 7, 2003.

1. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Here I am. Late as usual! ;)

Gary, your sculpt is very convincing on its own right: great attempt at ethnicity (he looks like an Indian), correct anatomy, lots of character.

The one thing that put me off was the hunchback syndrome (again) which can be easily corrected by giving him some more neck and trimming the bottom of the torso to bring up the viewer's attention towards the face (arguably, the focal point of the bust). (see previous pix).

Now to achieve a likeness with the original subject is a different drum.

The first thing to correct is the general shape of the face.

Note how the sides of the forehead taper towards the top. That would explain the steeper angle of the hair on the original. Likewise, the sides of the lower jaw taper towards the chin. Now you can see that the outline of the face has the shape of a lozenge instead of a rectangle as on your sculpt.

Next is the ridge of the nose which is much sharper and extends further down the upper lip, a characteristic of the archetypical 'Indian' nose.

Mouth is straighter and brows are gently sloped but that has more to do with expression than with the bone structure.

FYI, Little Hand has a typical Southern Cheyenne features (wide face, small pebble eyes and flat, sharp nose) while your sculpt looks more like a South-Eastern Indian (Seminole, Creek, Cherokee).

My humble opinion of course as I've never seen an Indian in the flesh in my entire life!

Quang

Attached Files:

2. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Here I am. Late as usual! ;)

Gary, your sculpt is very convincing on its own right: great attempt at ethnicity (he looks like an Indian), correct anatomy, lots of character.

The one thing that put me off was the hunchback syndrome (again) which can be easily corrected by giving him some more neck and trimming the bottom of the torso to bring up the viewer's attention towards the face (arguably, the focal point of the bust). (see previous pix).

Now to achieve a likeness with the original subject is a different drum.

The first thing to correct is the general shape of the face.

Note how the sides of the forehead taper towards the top. That would explain the steeper angle of the hair on the original. Likewise, the sides of the lower jaw taper towards the chin. Now you can see that the outline of the face has the shape of a lozenge instead of a rectangle as on your sculpt.

Next is the ridge of the nose which is much sharper and extends further down the upper lip, a characteristic of the archetypical 'Indian' nose.

Mouth is straighter and brows are gently sloped but that has more to do with expression than with the bone structure.

FYI, Little Hand has a typical Southern Cheyenne features (wide face, small pebble eyes and flat, sharp nose) while your sculpt looks more like a South-Eastern Indian (Seminole, Creek, Cherokee).

My humble opinion of course as I've never seen an Indian in the flesh in my entire life!

Quang
  3. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, You're never too late. This will add more time to the project, but I am going ahead with your suggestions. I will start the cosmetic surgery required to achieve the closest results the photo calls for.
  4. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Quang, You're never too late. This will add more time to the project, but I am going ahead with your suggestions. I will start the cosmetic surgery required to achieve the closest results the photo calls for.
  5. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Now that you mention it, it DOES look like a cosmetic surgery chart. :lol:

Q.
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Now that you mention it, it DOES look like a cosmetic surgery chart. :lol:

Q.
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Surgery has begun, and some would cringe at what I've done. Pics will be posted in a few days. I do not think I'll do anything to the neck , just reducing the amount of material used on the neckerchief itself has made a difference. Thanks Quang.~Gary
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Surgery has begun, and some would cringe at what I've done. Pics will be posted in a few days. I do not think I'll do anything to the neck , just reducing the amount of material used on the neckerchief itself has made a difference. Thanks Quang.~Gary
  9. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Take it REAL easy, Gary.

Like they say in French: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" which can be roughly translated as "Better can be worse... sometimes" :lol:

Q.
  10. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Take it REAL easy, Gary.

Like they say in French: "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien" which can be roughly translated as "Better can be worse... sometimes" :lol:

Q.
  11. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

Once again your astute observations and advise are right on the money. This has got to be one of the most productive and inspiring forums I've ever seen! Your forthright comments have not only been helpful to those who are directly involved, but to the community at large - a godsend to those eager to learn and grow in this art form.

Thank you! (y)

-jim cox
  12. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Quang,

Once again your astute observations and advise are right on the money. This has got to be one of the most productive and inspiring forums I've ever seen! Your forthright comments have not only been helpful to those who are directly involved, but to the community at large - a godsend to those eager to learn and grow in this art form.

Thank you! (y)

-jim cox
  13. quang Active Member

Belgium
    My pleasure, Jim! ;)

Q.
  14. quang Active Member

Belgium
    My pleasure, Jim! ;)

Q.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few pics of what I've taken out so far. You'll also note material taken from the upper arms and chest. Look at Quang's photoshop rendering a few pages back, he suggests have less material here to help draw focus more to the head. The rest will be carved away after the final baking of the bust.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here are a few pics of what I've taken out so far. You'll also note material taken from the upper arms and chest. Look at Quang's photoshop rendering a few pages back, he suggests have less material here to help draw focus more to the head. The rest will be carved away after the final baking of the bust.~Gary
  17. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary!
  18. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Looking great Gary!
  19. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.
  20. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Another view.