1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Sculpting chainmail

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by Magnus, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Magnus A Fixture

Ok, so I added a fur and a shield to cover up the back and cut the sleeve to a better angle. Unfortunately I feel I messed up with the arm sleeve fold, any suggestions?

[IMG]

[IMG]
    pokrad likes this.
  2. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    More fur :) I would make it bulkier and wider to go a little over his back. And thicker to pad the shield a bit.
  3. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I am looking at it again, and actually its not too bad. Consider physics of a heavy chain - if he lifts arm up - all rows will shorten and the sleeve will "fall" down the arm, it has no structure to be rigid like a tube. So folds are actually appropriate, front looks good, its a little too flat on the back, so if you widen the fur slightly it will cover that surface.

Attached Files:

4. Magnus A Fixture

Thank you very much Gaudin, I bulked up the fur now, what do you think?

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    pokrad, Gaudin and Piotr Czyz like this.
  5. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think its better, I must say I really like your idea overall, it isn't a bog standard viking, something that is out of the box. I am pretty sure Nap will beg you to release it:D, but I think from details it looks like a "one off".
    There are few things that you will need to consider for your next project, like width of shoulders and chest/body volume that accounts for padding underneath - but that's minor stuff. Bear claws could be a cool think to add, but may overload it.
  6. Magnus A Fixture

Thanks a lot, yes, it is just one off for fun. I have a long way to go still, to be able to sculpt to a commercial standard. Should the body volume (chest, shoulders etc.) be larger? I have a tendency to let my basic volumes wander off :)
  7. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    If we are talking " golden"classical proportions, a body will be 8 lengths of face and shoulder width should be able to fit 2 face lengths. (It makes it easy to work out sizes as well, a 200 mm figure /8 = 25mm head length)
    It is probably better to exaggerate that to "heroic" proportions for artistic effect.
    A wider chest ( from shoulder to shoulder) will need to be a bit deeper in what is called "sagital plane" ( front to back, latin for arrow - kind of fitting name ;) ) to account for well developed lungs and good pectoral muscles, and scapula's.
    So that's your flesh, then add - a shirt, a gambezon padding, chainmail/ armour etc.

A good imagination test is - imagine him naked (above waist, lets not get excited), strip all clothing and see whats left. Does he look like a warrior or a skinny lad :) Of course for sculpting purposes it needs to happen at mannequin stage before clothing goes on or at armature stage.
  8. Magnus A Fixture

Yes, that's what I tried to do. Here is my basic mannequin that I did, with putty added to secure the mail links with. But as I said, I have a way of messing up my proportions as I progress. Think it is very hard to sculpt "even" around, I usually drift off with the volumes.

[IMG]
  9. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Get a printout in scale and make yourself a pair of calipers- invaluable tool, all you need is to make sure that measurement are same as your bust. This will work for any scale busts or figures.

Shoulders is a very common mistake and it took me a while to train my brain to actively look for it, figures look instantly better when its corrected, in my opinion.
  10. Magnus A Fixture

But that is what I tried to do! I guess I just have to follow the plan as well ;)

[IMG]
    Richie likes this.
  11. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well, may be there isn't much of an issue, hard to see on photos sometimes if they are not face on. Proportions look alright, although I would say that chain mail and padding would add extra volume, I may be wrong.

Remember, opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one:)

Regardless, its a good bust. When you are ready to re-visit and do one for casting, I would ask for a copy please.
  12. Magnus A Fixture

I think you are absolutely correct about volumes and I highly appreciate all you support and coaching, means a lot.
  13. Gaudin A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    And another point, like Steve Reed said not so long ago - start sculpting with casting in mind, its a completely different challenge.

You will need those skills eventually, so might as well start training brain to think along those lines.